• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

just bought 2 blue rings

dwhatley;111887 said:
hummm, Tony never posted my special smiley that I made for you some time ago (it may have been a little too inviting to use without the sense of humor intended), maybe I will work on a different aspect of your posting prowess

Yeah, sometimes Tony needs a bit of, er, prodding to actually add the smilies people send... Even ones we desperately need, like the double-decker bus :bus:. Strangely, :diamond_trans: and :no_diamond: were included right away on the first request :rolleyes:

OK, I didn't come up with a Dork but this one ended up kind of fun

Attachments

• conv_292388.gif
    conv_292388.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 15
It would appear Hubert had a thumb wrestling match with the octopus.

Isn't the biggest problem with Blue Rings is that you don't even know you have been bitten? They like force poison through without puncturing or something to that nature.

(heard that on a nature video "incredible suckers" that I still have :smile: )

Most of the documented cases of blue ring envenomation have bite marks, at least in humans. Perhaps for something softer, they may be able to just drool on it to cause the effect? When they bite a crab, you can hear the crunch.

In that case ...

tonmo;111901 said:
Consider me prodded!

Thought you were out of town
I will also resubmit my favorite for review :sagrin: and another I have been playing with.

Attachments

• conv_292392.gif
    conv_292392.gif
    13.9 KB · Views: 19
  • conv_292393.gif
    conv_292393.gif
    2 KB · Views: 21
  • conv_292394.gif
    conv_292394.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 17
ok, have had my bluerings for jus about two weeks now. i've been very careful and make sure i know where they are at, at all times b4 i start to put my hand anywhere near my tank. my fish are all still alive surprisingly since someone had mentioned that they would eventualy kill all of them. as for them mating, im still not sure if they did or not?! the reason i asked is cuz when i dropped them in i noticed that when they seen each other they went into a grapling match and ended up under one of my rocks. i dont see any eggs or anything. but do notice that 1 of them likes to hang out in that area a lot.
i dont know how to post images in this forum, but if u would like to see pics of them i'd b glad to send u some thru email.

Glad to see you back.

(see, all you naysayers, he wasn't just trying to get a rise out of us)

it's not really so unusual that they haven't killed your fish, it's more of a concern that there's nothing much stopping them from killing them, so there's certainly no guarantee that your fish will survive... also, fish sometimes stress out octos, so it's usually not recommended to have both together, since the fish often are killed, or the fish stress out the octos and they hide all the time or have health complications.

Although it's possible that what you saw was mating behavior, multiple octos in the same tank do sometimes fight with each other, sometimes in mild, semi-friendly interactions and sometimes in more "fight to the death" disagreements.

I don't know if you read my extended responses above, but what you were told about "they don't like air" is not really accurate, and certainly not guaranteed. Octo-proofing your tank would be a very good idea, and making sure that you know that there could be a dying (and hence maybe extra-aggressive) octo *outside* the tank when you least expect it is really a necessity, since we've seen octos escape from "completely sealed" tanks pretty often. Having another octo and fish actually may make it more likely one will try to escape: octos can be territorial, and in the wild, they might decide that if there's another octo or a bothersome fish in their tide pool that they will go exploring to find a home with less competition for food. Similarly, octos are more likely to choose to leave the tank if the water quality is bad, like if your filtration fails or there is a partially-eaten crab fouling the water... normally, we recommend removing uneaten food quickly because of that, but, of course, make sure not to risk a bite while recovering crab bits.

thanks for the info monty! honestly, after my first post tonmo people scared the crap out of me for buying my blue rings!!! i knew they were very dangerous when i bought em and i knew that they could kill me! till this day im still thinking about givin it back to the petshop i bought it from. since i haven't yet i've been extremely careful when dealing with my tank. ill keep everybody posted and let u guys know how me and my 2 bluerings are doing. thanks everyone especially monty!

I doubt that this was a troll. There are a lot of blue-rings on the market right now.

It is entirely possible that an LFS would have received multiple H. lunulata this time of year and if two were put into a tank together, they would "mate". Males mount and insert their hectocotylus into another blue-ring at first sight be the recipient male or female. While male - male pairs usually break it off after a few minutes, this can go on for hours. A couple of days ago I had to break up a pair that had been "mounted" for over six hours. It was extremely difficult to get them apart.

Roy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back