[Octopus]: Just a video of Jolene the bimac

• Thread starter Deleted member 14033
  • Start date
Also you just made me want to try getting a bimac for my 75 after my birthday next month 🤣 time to start stalking the sites in my favorites 😒

edit: forgot they’re a cold water species 😣 maybe a vulgaris then

I am pretty sure I got her February 5th this year. She is still alive, but she is on her way out. She started laying eggs in the early parts of May. She has only recently started to slow down on eating. So she won't be around much longer.
They are easy to keep though. My other one is named Snips. She is smaller.
They can tolerate higher temps, but the benefit of keeping them in cooler water is a longer life span. That is more up to the owner if they want a short term pet or long term. Look up 'Advances in laboratory culture of octopus for biomedical research' Hanlon & Forsythe. You will get a lot of information from that.

Aww it’s always sad when you know they probably won’t be around much longer. I’d rather get a tropical species though. Maybe in 5 or so years when I can afford a chiller, I’ll try a bimac :smile: I want something bigger than a dwarf species since it’s hard to tell about how old they are when you get them. I wish we could get Hawaiian day octos in the us!

Old Jolene has taken to being out now. She usually hunkers down in the corner. Now she will sit splayed out. I read on a thread from another member that mentioned this behavior.
I wonder if it is a result of breathing difficulty and trying to find better oxygenation, or a natural habit that in the wild would allow predators to pick them off, thus ending suffering quicker. Her breathing has become heavy and she has cut down on eating. I found a good chunk of leftover shrimp. She laid eggs in early May. So it is not surprising.

Attachments

• 20210807_214906.jpg
    20210807_214906.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • 20210807_214946.jpg
    20210807_214946.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
Jolene has died. I had her from February 5, 2021 - August 10, 2021. Here are some pics of her measurements. I witnessed chromatophores changing a little still and what appeared to be minor skin movements. As stated before she laid eggs back in may.

Attachments

• 20210810_071956.jpg
    20210810_071956.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 29
  • 20210810_072255.jpg
    20210810_072255.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 32
  • 20210810_072422.jpg
    20210810_072422.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 26
Thank you for sharing her with us! Laying eggs in May and staying with you until now is a good run. You did a good job keeping this ceph -- I will move the thread to the Ceph Journals forum (leaving a permanent redirect here).
:angelpus:

Thank you for sharing her with us! Laying eggs in May and staying with you until now is a good run. You did a good job keeping this ceph -- I will move the thread to the Ceph Journals forum (leaving a permanent redirect here).
:angelpus:
Okie dokie. Thank you. She was my longest lived octopus and she was the largest. Thus far. My other Bimac Snips is still little.

I made an embroidered bimac as a little memorial thing for Jolene. It looks dirty, but it is actually Jolenes ink.

Attachments

• 20210811_193029.jpg
    20210811_193029.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 22