• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Joubini Q's

I can get a joubini specimen quaranteed to be a joubini from a marine labatory, problem is that it's gonna cost a small fortune to get a juvenile specimen and I gotta wait almost 7 months to get it... But im still excited about it :octopus2:

A few questions on joubins:
How large due they get, mantle and tentacles?
Would a Tidepool II wet/dry filter be good? Plus a large skimmer and about 20 lbs LR.
From what I read they are nocturnal, is there any way to make them active at night?
Are joubinis hard to feed? Will amphipods be a good food source? (not its staple of course)
Will a 29 gallon tank be good?
What temperature range plus SG range?

Thanks for reading!

Hold on. Almost all O. joubini sold are actually O. mercatoris or something similar. O. joubini is a small egg species; O. mercatoris has large eggs. The good news is that the eggs are easily hatched and the young can be reared with proper care.

I know of only on marine supply company that sells "O. joubini". I actually have a paper that I published several years ago on "O. joubini" - stomatopods interactions and the octopuses were from this supplier. The species that they can get from the northern Gulf matures and breeds in the spring. They provide them to a waiting list as they collect mostly brooding females in pen shells or coke cans. If you get an adult in March or April, it will only survive a couple of months at most so you might want to consider if this is the best species for your needs. This is a relatively small species with a mantle length usually around 3-4 cm and arm spread of about 20 cm max. Coming from coastal waters, they are tough and do well in captivity, but they are nocturnal, so don't expect to see them very often and if you receive a brooding female - not at all.

kingsnar;79096 said:
I gotta wait almost 7 months to get it... But im still excited about it :octopus2:

Will a 29 gallon tank be good?

Thanks for reading!

Do you have your aquarium set up yet? It will take several months to cycle and you should have about 1 pound (or more) of live rock per gallon. If you do not have a lot of experience with salt water, a bigger tank is better because it is more stable in case something goes wrong (your skimmer cracks and springs a leak, your electricity goes out for a few hours, your pump catches fire, the list goes on... those are just a few things that have happened to my latest tank in the past 6 months...).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back