JellyFish as a pet

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Not a cool addition at all. They are only reef safe because they won't harm anything, but the almost always don't survive very long and don't actually do well in a standard reef tank.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
The diver I do some webwork for suggests not considering them because not only do they die off quickly, nothing else lives in the areas of the reef that they populate. He has done a lot of hands on research (some with Martin Moe) on the dieing reefs in the keys and I trust his evaluation. If you should want to experiment (they are not endangered or even close), please consider a species only tank and start a journal for the rest of us that are curious ;>).

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
If you search the online reefing/saltwater communities you can find plenty of people who have tried to keep these. So please, before anyone decides to experiment, please do some background reading! :smile:

koaea

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
There's a japanese steakhouse / sushi bar in the Seattle area that has small fake jellies. It's cheating for sure, but obviously MUCH easier to maintain!

Look pretty real to I must admit!

They need to be in tanks with no corners, and I read an article in either Tropical Fish Hobbyist or Aquarium Fish International about how difficult they are. There's a big jelly exhibit at my local aquarium, they have a whole breeding lab set-up for them, very interesting stuff.