• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Jaubert system

robind

O. bimaculoides
Registered
I'm wondering if anyone else has tried using a Jaubert-style filtration system with their ceph. I have a friend that has run one for some time on their reef tank with much success.
If you're not familiar with it, here's a good article:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2002/feature.htm

The short story:
The idea behind the system is to create a relatively thick bed of sand over a gap in the water, such that the water under neath is poorly circulated. Supposedly this arrangement causes denitrification to occur very efficiently.

I'm not saying I want to run just this system, but perhaps utilize it instead of buying live rock. I plan on running a skimmer full time regardless, as I don't believe anything can live up to the chemical filtration it provides.

spinycheek

GPO
Registered
I use deep sand beds, I love them. I haven't used a plenum as I don't think they're really necessary in most situations, plus by making a void with no sand, then the denitrifying bacteria have less surface area to grow on. I think 5-6 inches of fairly fine grade sand (Oolite or similar) will provide sufficient nitrate reduction without the plenum. I only have 1 salt tank now, but even before I had a skimmer on it, the nitrates were undetectable. Of course it runs on slow diffusion, so with high waste animals, skimmers are a good idea, but with just corals and clams and such, you could get away without a skimmer.