[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Jabba, Jool, Ziro, Zorba - S. Bandensis

It is an odd thing to think about him dieing. I expected him to die after a number of different observations and now, I irrationally think he will be with me for a long time.

Jabba passed away on May 5th. He was not interested in eating the night before and I wondered, once again, if this was his last day. I enjoyed hatching and raising this group but probably won't revisit keeping cuttlefish.

As always, it is so sad to go by the tank and look in just to remember it is now empty. You never get used to it but I do get a slow smile when I think of some of the behaviors.

Thanks for documenting your trials with cuttlefish as well as you did, It's very inspirational to see; it can be a real struggle raising those tikes. I know you said you won't revisit raising cuttlefish, but I hope you do anyways. :cuttlehi:

I have learned to never say never :wink:. If I had the space, I would try Officinalis in a heartbeat as well as captive bred flamboyant eggs. The later a possibility a long time down the road.

Thanks for the nice comments :oops:. I have noted that you are passing it forward with your frequent cycling updates, and I expect your journal will be helpful to many. For new keepers, reading or following along with a member at the same phase of keeping or cycling can really add to the experience and grow confidence.

I tend to be a bit overly verbose at times but there are times when I review my own journals looking for past experiences and am frustrated that I failed to record something that would be helpful.

Do note that I am NOT even close to considering not keeping cephs but have found I prefer octopuses and nautilus to bandensis. I had hoped to keep a new nautilus but that will have to wait until fall (if I am lucky, hopefully I will transport one home after TONMOcon VI but a lot of things have to fall into place). I am looking for an octo (or two) but the heat and availability have not worked out yet.

:biggrin2: Love open publishing videos, you just never know when they will show up in a bit of cool documentation (check out the "communicating" bandensis at 56 seconds :sagrin:.

I do have questions about the ID of the Day Octopus pictured though @Thales. There is one pictured at the beginning but I believe the captive animal displayed when mentioned is O. hummelincki.

Last edited:
Oh, so cute. They have good color. I forgot how tiny they are...

D, are the deflated eggs the ones that hatched? Eggs that have died during development will have a whitish mass inside of them. How many eggs do you have?
I am new to cuttles, I have 12 eggs. One egg has a little cuttle shaped guy in there and a second larger mass. would you say that the egg is not viable?

The other mass is the yolk sack. The baby cuttle lives on this as it grows and (hopefully) will not hatch until it is all or mostly absorbed. Occasionally, cuttles hatching with a small yolk sack attachment survive but what you hope is to not see the sack at hatching. It is believed that the nourishment from the last of the sack is what still maintains them while they learn to hunt.

The other mass is the yolk sack. The baby cuttle lives on this as it grows and (hopefully) will not hatch until it is all or mostly absorbed. Occasionally, cuttles hatching with a small yolk sack attachment survive but what you hope is to not see the sack at hatching. It is believed that the nourishment from the last of the sack is what still maintains them while they learn to hunt.
it just seemed different because it seems that the two are not attached like they are separate masses

I am not sure this will help, but I placed a light under one of the cuttlefish eggs and photographed it here. There is also a video several posts later in the thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back