Izzy and Bee - O.Mercatoris

They are definitely eating as my snail population is down and there are empty snails shells littered all over my tank. Also of the six decorators, three have been eaten and so have a few of the hermit crabs. When I found her last night you can see a few empty shells in her den with her. they both maybe in the same den. I will try shimp on a stick later tonight. I gave them all to Legs so i have to get more.

Well, with Izzy things continue to be good. She is not very social which I expected but I have spottede her out a few times. And I continue to feed her shrimp pieces with a bamboo skewer. She also really enjoys small Hermit crabs and small Turbo Snails. From the shell count she is eating a few a week on top of the shrimp I give her every two days.

As for Bee...I have no idea. I have never found her den. There is only one spot in that tank I cant see but I can get a skewer in there. I have tried sticking a few pieces of shrimp in there but nothing ever grabs it. I think I may have lost Bee at some point and just never saw her remains.

Do I keep blogging? I cant tell if people read it?

I tried to shoot video of me feeding Izzy but I failed miserably
th_Fail.gif

all I managed was to drop both my feeding stick and flashlight into the tank, as I dropped my camera. i was trying to hold both the stick and a camera and a flashlight. all while standing on my tippy toes cause top of tank is 6' up. I'll try to recruit a camera man for tomorrow.

At least the camera did not go in the drink. I almost did that once trying the same kind of shenanigans. I finally broke down and got a third party wired remote (oh how I wish they made a electronic remote for my camera) plunger and fixed my tripod.

Well I got my first ever actual Camcorder today. It was a birthday present from my Mom. Yeah my birthdays was awhile ago and I didn't know what i wanted yet so I just got it. anyway until now I have been shooting video with my regular camera which was not very good quality. Now I will be shooting in HD!!! I got a nice Samsung HD camera with all the bells and wistles.

I have been trying to get Merc video but I was unable due to the low resolution of my old camera combine with technical difficulties. Now I am hoping to be able to get to good footage.

I was messing around with it today and shot some video of my 40 gallon tank.

I can't wait to see a video of your mercs. congrats on the new camera, now I have something to look forward to LOL.
My new (regular still) camera also records video in HD. I just have no octopuses to film now, boo hoo. I did a test on one of my other tanks and was really impressed. We also filmed my daughter's perfromance at school with it, great quality so I am not even considering a video camera.
I see you have major cyanobacteria in your 40. I have it from time to time, what do you do to control or get rid of it? I have tried to decrease nutrients, decrease light, and increase flow but sometimes manual removal is needed. It gets old real fast, too labor intense. Seems I am always fighting something, cayno, hair algea or the dreaded evil byprosis.

I see you have major cyanobacteria in your 40. I have it from time to time, what do you do to control or get rid of it? I have tried to decrease nutrients, decrease light, and increase flow but sometimes manual removal is needed. It gets old real fast, too labor intense. Seems I am always fighting something, cayno, hair algea or the dreaded evil byprosis.

Yeah because of the seahorses that tank has very little water flow. I also just put a set of new Power compact lights on that tank and I had them set for the same 12 hours I had the regular florescent set for, so I got an algae bloom. I just haven't scrubbed that tank yet since the bloom. Today I have been breaking down Leg's wet/dry and sump right now to get everything nice and fresh for it's next resident. Once I done with that I'm going to give that tank and good scrubbing and scraping.

For Cyano bacteria I use a product by Chemiclean called Red Slime Remover and is one of the very few (maybe the only thinking about it) chemical treatment I use or trust. After I siphon/wipe up any loose cyno, I put less that 1/4 of the recommended amount in my sump filter sock (disolve first you you put it directly into a tank) and in about a week the problem is gone. It suggests waiting 48 hours but at the lowered dose, it takes about a week and I have never had a problem with it KEEP IN MIND I KEEP VERY FEW SENSITIVE CORALS. Sometimes the mushrooms/ricordia/flower nems will show a slight reaction but they always go back to normal in an hour or so. I don't have to use it very often but do occassionally get some in the reef, the biorb and in Puddles tank.

Ok so i moved Izzy into one of my 40 gallon tanks. She was in a 55. I basically moved her and her whole den over to the new tank. They both had the same water as I plumbed both tanks together about a week ago. I also took the opportunity to move around the live rock and I found no sign of Bee. At this point I am going to assume the worst. RIP Bee.

I'l post some pics of her in her new home once it dark out.

Nice tanks and superb video quality!
+1 on the ChemiClean I have used on 2 reef (fish and coral) tanks that I battled cyano for 6 or 7 months with no luck until I used this product exactly as directed. No manual removal and in 48 hrs there was no sign of it at all and it did not come back. Nothing else in the tanks appeared to be affected.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back