• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I'VE GOT INKLETS

I tried getting some but none of them turned out good. I keep trying to get my sister to come over and take some pictures with her macro lens but I haven't gotten her to do so yet. Hopefully I'll have some by tonight.

Good news!

momma is back on the prowl!

today there was a fiddler crab that had been in the tank for awhile now and was walking around and when I came home sure enough he was all torn up next to Charlotte's hole. Also one of the babies found the corpse and seems like he might actually be trying to get a bite to eat off of the fiddlers big claw! I hope that is the case. Also do you think it's possible that the little guys might be munching on the cyno bacteria in my tank?

Hey guys I ordered some more mysis shrimp and released them into the tank. The good news is I saw one of the babies spit out the head of a shrimp the other day so I think they are starting to eat! Last time I counted I'm at 12 or 13 little guys. Charlotte is doing just fine also and I am constantly checking water parameters. I'll try to get some pictures as soon as I can.

Also, I was wondering...

Didn't someone mention that O. Chierchiae is a community species octopus? I have seen the little babies get right up next to eachother but I still have yet to see any aggression in them. I am assuming that none of them have become canabalistic yet but I am wondering if O. Chierchiae IS a community species is it possible that the babies will not eat eachother and that Charlotte will not be interested in eating them once they get bigger?

And about the cyno, I haven't actually seen any of them eat it I have just seen them sit on it for awhile and was just curious to see if that might be a possible source of food for inklets maybe.

The cyno is not a food source. Octopus ingest it only incidentally.

When I kept O. chierchiae juveniles, they were cannibalistic and the only paper published on keeping them (by Rodaniche) reports the same thing. He also observed that when the female resumed eating, she ate the juveniles.

I saw no evidence in the field that they were social or communal.

Roy

Roy did you keep them from the egg or collect juveniles? We have seemed to have good luck with raising octos together from the same batch of eggs that otherwise would have fought or killed each other if introduced individually.

BTW, did you ever try to find out where the collectors are finding their supply of Chierchiae?

Hi Jon,

I sent you a pm, but I am not sure you got it. Now that I have babies as well, it seems even more important to try to breed them and get more genetic diversity in the mix. Would you please contact me at [email protected] to see if you and I and Roy can arrange something?

Thanks in advance!

When I hatched clutches in the late-70's. the brood was kept in a small aquarium with the mother. She ate some and I moved the hatchlings to another container. However, I did not have a very good source of food, so they could have been starving when the cannibalism occurred. However, Rodaniche reported the same thing and he was working at the Naos Marine Laboratory in Panama, so he should have had access to proper food. Also, his PhD was on octopus behavior and life history, so he was experienced with keeping several species.

I never collected juvenile O. chierchiae. I only found mature adults.

Roy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back