• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I'VE GOT INKLETS

I'm up to 9 inklets. I called the supplier and they said that it would be here by tommorrow which is when my buddy gets back from his trip so I hope these little guys will be ok in still water for the night. I've been putting 3 amphipods in with each inklet but they don't seem very interested in them. Is having places for them to hide crucial at all? I've read in other articles that hiding places are important, but I don't have enough shells to go around for everybody.

Wow! Where are you finding them? :biggrin2:

I bet there are a ton of TONMO'ers that would be happy to take them off your hands. :biggrin2:

I would take the pods out and give the guys some time to calm down.

You can cut some tubing for them to hide in - airline may be too small, but something larger (the right size) should be easily available at you local hardware store in the tubing section. I wouldn't worry too much about them eating for the next few days.
Shameless idea: If you are really worried about keeping them alive, feel free to ship some to me and Roy - we are all set up for babies given that my female has a clutch right now.

I have 4x4x6 'cubes' from tap plastics. I cut square holes on two sides and glued the divider material from retail tank dividers into the openings. Some of them I have glued together in a chain. The lids still fit on. This allows me to keep them in various places with various flows. I may be making a chain that allows me to let it sit on top of another tank and plumb it into the system by having the ends of the chain have bulkhead fittings rather than screens - on octos would be kept in the end that feeds back to the tank. The chain can be fed by a small powerhead.

So do I need to have a good amount of flow in my set up that I'm trying to make? Oh and once the little guys get a little bigger I will try to send you and roy a couple. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they will be alright till friday, my buddy from work has tons of experience with tanks and good experience with octos so I'm sure he will be able to rig up something for the little guys. Do you know how many eggs your Chierchia female has laid? I'm trying to make an estimate of how much space I'm going to need because I have no idea how many more of these little guys are going to pop up. After I found the first bunch it was about 12 hours before more starting showing up. So I'm wondering if they will come out in intervals of around 12 hours.

Both Trapper's and Miss Broody's eggs hatched 24 hours apart, Trapper's for 5 days and Miss Broody's for 10 BUT the Mercs usually have (Trapper was the exception) many more eggs than your little girl since she can have multiple batches. One thing that Roy more or less implied but did not state (that I remember anyway) is that she may not need to mate again to have a second hatching and I thought he said his had about 8 little ones at a time but you will need to look for his post to verify (or hopefully he will see the thread entries soon). I am concerned about the lack of water movement and wonder if it is why they are not eating ...

What about leaving a couple in the main tank, not in containers - would they be able to find food and not be eaten?- the idea is that you don't keep all the same way so that you have a better chance some will survive.

Nancy

Well there are some amphipods and copepods in my 55 gallon and nothing but Charlotte, some hermit crabs, and a fiddler crab and I don't think any of them would put the little babies on the menu. I'm not sure if there is enough food in the tank to support them and I don't want them to have to eat each other. I could put a couple in the tank but it just feels like I would be dooming them since the tank is so huge compared to their size which would make it extremely hard for them to find food and successfully kill and eat it. Do inklets always eat right after being born? I would think they would take a little while to get hungry coming right out of the egg.

Jon Crossan;119136 said:
I could put a couple in the tank but it just feels like I would be dooming them since the tank is so huge compared to their size which would make it extremely hard for them to find food and successfully kill and eat it.

the ocean is bigger! add some pods to the big tank.

They may not eat right away, since they may have some yolk reserves left. I agree with Nancy about leaving some in the main tank, you never know what may be in the live rock that they could eat. You may already have some in the main tank hiding...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back