it's got hair on its tentacles!

cuttlegirl;103791 said:
I can't see the link...

I can't either, but a google search found this:

promachspcoral.jpg

edit: a ToLweb link that works

edit: better TOLweb link with species description

Toren;103788 said:
What am I looking at here - are these TEETH instead of a beak?

No. Just something weird happening with the buccal bulb musculature (surrounding the beaks). The exposure is a bit low so I can't honestly tell whether the beaks are still in there (there's very little damage to the buccal membrane, so I guess that they are).

It would be so cool to have a squid with teeth! These (muscles) look more like dentures.

Steve O'Shea;104003 said:
No. Just something weird happening with the buccal bulb musculature (surrounding the beaks). The exposure is a bit low so I can't honestly tell whether the beaks are still in there (there's very little damage to the buccal membrane, so I guess that they are).

It would be so cool to have a squid with teeth! These (muscles) look more like dentures.

I thought I read that the beak was not described in detail on TOLweb because they didn't want to dissect the type specimen that much, so I inferred that the beak is in there somewhere in the pic... but maybe that was the sister species...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back