• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

It's Coming!!!!!

:smile: He'll come around! They are as curious about us as we are about them! And eventually you will find he will almost pose when he see's the camera coming! G2 seems to be a ham!

Anyway, another thing I always do with my octos is tap lightly on the tank. Eventually it becomes a game to them. I've had many come out to play when I start tapping!

Carol

Sounds like he is adapting well to the new environment...glad to hear all is well !
greg

Yea!!!! You are just glimpsing the tip of what promises to be an amazing and might I add, addicting experience!!!!! So glad she is starting to come out of her shell! I just got done "messing with G2"! Will have to post later on it!!!

Congrats!!!

Carol

Welllll, I just finished one half hour of watching him sift through sand and climb on rocks looking for food...even though there was still a clam in the dish. It's sssooooo neat watching him poke and prod the rocks with his tentacles. I couldn't believe how fascinating it is to watch octopi search for food. :biggrin2:

Yep, you have caught "octo fever" hard...no shots for it either...!
If you get a chance, post some pics...always neat to see a happy ceph!!!
greg

I watched him eat a hermit crab too...neat! My mother thinks it's disgusting...well, too bad for her :twisted: About the sand thing, and the octopus not liking sand...my octopus sits on the sand, and sticks its tenticles in it and wiggles them around, just like what Nancy said.

When I start feeding him frozen shrimp, should I soak them in Selcon or some kind of additive like that? When should I attempt the first frozen food feeding? FYI- he's climbing all over the tank. He loves to come out when I get home. I'll open my bedroom door, and out he pops. First dark colored, then slowly to a tan color...a tad darker. Then he starts poking and prodding the rocks for food...such a pig. Well I guess most octos are like that...always thinking with their stomachs. About the red slime thing, I ordered a powdered treatement that is supposed to be harmless to all fish, invertibrates, and other plants in marine aquariums. Sorry guys, but I seem to have misplaced my digital camera. Sigh

Very young octopuses need to eat a lot - would be good if you could feed him a couple of times a day. I'd go ahead and try some bits of thawed frozen shrimp (good quality). He should be old enough to eat it now.

How wonderful that your octo is warming up to you so quickly!

Nancy

Okay. I went to my local grocery store to look for seafood for him. I found frozen shrimp, tini shrimp, and whole oysers (they're larger then the octo :evil: ) All of them, however, are pre-cooked. Is this okay? I'm quite sceptic here. Also, how do you present the food? Place it in a dish, or feed it to the octo with a feeding stick? If it's the latter, should I use a piece of rigid air tubing? Thanks for all of the help.

Frozen prawn, the petshops sell works quite well! No cooked seafood. Preferably fresh, but you could try frozen uncooked.

Did you find that camera yet? :mrgreen:

Carol

UUURRRRGGGGHHHH!!! IT'S SOOOO FRUSTRATING WHEN YOU HAVE IT WHEN YOU DON'T NEED IT, BUT WHEN YOU NEED IT, YOU DON'T HAVE IT!!!!!!!!! :x :x :x Sorry about pics. Will look a little bit more.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back