• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

It inked!!!

Hookem

Hatchling
Registered
I have had my bimac for a little over a week now. I had to do some work on my overflow and he came out to watch me. That is the first time i have seen him come out into the open. We watched each other for a minute. I stood up to get something and he inked and swam off. I stayed between two rocks peering at me for the rest of the night. Is the ink harmful? Do I need to do a water change or will the skimmer deal with it? I hope he comes out more now.

Thanks.

tjohnson

Wonderpus
Registered
Some would say to do a water change, I however feel he is already stressed, so I would let the skimmer deal with it, also, next time you can try to net the bulk of it, before it breaks up, since it comes out pretty thick, just use your net to scoop it out, if your quick enought it will be no prob.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
The skimmer should remove most of the problematic goo quickly...be sure to change the cup out !
If there is ever a large amount of ink, you can do a partial water change and trade out the carbon in your filter.

best,
greg

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
also the famous pantyhose net can scoop out ink quite effectively (instructions below)

J

THE PANTYHOSE NET!!! (designed by NickA5582)

Step one: Buy a net.

Step two: Buy some pantyhose (DO NOT steal your mothers :lol: J)

Step three: Cut off a leg of the pantyhose and push it in to the net.

Step four: Tie the pantyhose so it fits the net snuggly and doesn't fall off

Step five: When your octo inks, stick the net in there and scoop up the ink. Wash pantyhose net thoroughly.

Jean said:
also the famous pantyhose net can scoop out ink quite effectively (instructions below)

J

THE PANTYHOSE NET!!! (designed by NickA5582)

Step one: Buy a net.

Step two: Buy some pantyhose (DO NOT steal your mothers :lol: J)

Step three: Cut off a leg of the pantyhose and push it in to the net.

Step four: Tie the pantyhose so it fits the net snuggly and doesn't fall off

Step five: When your octo inks, stick the net in there and scoop up the ink. Wash pantyhose net thoroughly.

That is a good idea...OR you can simply buy the fabric that the panty-hose is constructed with, mabye just a yard...and then cut it in any desired shape to fit the net. That's only incase fabric is cheaper than the already-made and fabricated pantyhose. The fabric probably runs for at least 2 bucks a yard. lol.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
I need to do some more research into this, but I believe ink is released in two different ways - as a smaller, blobby shape (thicker ink, can be caught in the panty hose net) or as a complete smoke screen making the whole tank black (panty hose net is useless). My bimac used the smokescreen approach. I have seen the other sort of inking with O.rubescens.

The skimmer and the carbon will remove the ink. A 10-20% water change will speed things along.

Nancy

Nancy said:
I need to do some more research into this, but I believe ink is released in two different ways - as a smaller, blobby shape (thicker ink, can be caught in the panty hose net) or as a complete smoke screen making the whole tank black (panty hose net is useless). My bimac used the smokescreen approach. I have seen the other sort of inking with O.rubescens.

The skimmer and the carbon will remove the ink. A 10-20% water change will speed things along.

Nancy

Hey nancy..just a quick question out of curiosity. In order to execute a 10 OR 20% water change..lets just say 10, and lets say you have a 50 gallon aquarium. 10% of 50 is 5 gallons right? How would you remove exactly 5 gallons from the tank and replace it with another 5 gallons of fresh new saltwater? I know theres water changing kits...what do they do? Do they have a vaccum which calculates how many gallons your sucking in, or would you need to accurately remove 5 gallons by using a plastic emtpy water-gallon or container? I was never aware of this.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
People could have slightly different methods, but here's how I change 5 gallons:

Take a salt bucket and pour in 5 gallons of water (I buy 5 gallons of water at a time and the container holds just that, so I don't have any trouble with that measurement.) Mix with the salt and circulate with a pump

Take an empty salt bucket, siphon off the water from the tank so that the amount of water in both buckets is the same. (I have a 5-gallon mark on that bucket, too)

Pour or pump the new 5 gallons of salt water into the tank.

Nancy

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Something else you may want to consider:
Since I have to do frequent water changes, I just keep a 50 gallon garbage container (rubbermaid, about 7 bucks) filled with premixed saltwater on hand out in the garage...that way, I don't have to mix up the solution every time, just drain out some from the sump or tank, walk out the garage, and fill the bucket up.
I usually keep about 30g on hand at any time, be sure to keep the lid on it too !

greg

i realy dont think that it matters is you do exactly five gallons, you could do six, or seven, i think the only thing that realy matters is that you fill the tank back up with the amount of water that you took out, and if you tank is sumpless then you should just mark the water level before you take out the water in the first place. then you just fill it up unil it reaches that mark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasjedlicka

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak