Isis O. bimaculoides NEW OCTOPUS Surprise from my Husband!

It is always hard to know if the octopus starts eating its own arm tips or if they lose feeling and the brissles and/or intentional clean-up crew are responsible for the damage. In Ocatane's case, there was not question but if you did not see this sign before her death I would venture to guess the other critters were doing their job.

Oh no! Sabrina I am so sad for you, when it rains it pours huh?

I hate to say :goodbye: to Isis so soon. Her antics were captivating. I think the worst part is not being able to find the reason why. We are filled with such excitment when we aquire an active one then blink and they are gone. It must be doubly sad to loose 2 a few days apart. I wish they were not so difficult to find. I am right there with you my friend :sad:

It was pretty hard to take I wont lie. My husband woke up to me crying just as I put her in the freezer. I am still not ready to actually deal with her body.

I am desperate to find a few dwarf octopuses for my 40 gallon tank. Though money wise I should take my time so that I can afford to change the set up to my 55 and set up my 75 gallon. My husband and I talked last night and I will probably be keeping my 55 only moving it and changing the set up a bit. I will be losing the stand and creating a chamber on one side of the tank (like Linda did with her 125) to keep an in tank/sump protein skimmer, heater and chiller for stability as this tank will be right in a window box (the only room I have left up stairs to keep a tank).

I was also thinking about giving cuttlefish a try. I have been reading up a bit and its very tempting... knowing exactly when they are hatched has something going for it in my book and also being able to keep a few together is a big plus.

I keep thinking I would like to try cuttles in the 140 but I would like to take it apart (a MAJOR undertaking) before I do anything interesting with it. The two primary residence could be moved to the 45 in the living room so it is only a lot of work that keeps me from changing it. We sized it for large seahorses so it is 3' tall and a major PITA to clean. I have kind of lost interest in it for the moment and do the bare minimum to keep everything healthy. If I put cuttles in there, I am back to major ugly words once a week when I clean it. Then again, it would make a nice vulgaris tank :oops::biggrin2:

dwhatley;169258 said:
I keep thinking I would like to try cuttles in the 140 but I would like to take it apart (a MAJOR undertaking) before I do anything interesting with it. The two primary residence could be moved to the 45 in the living room so it is only a lot of work that keeps me from changing it. We sized it for large seahorses so it is 3' tall and a major PITA to clean. I have kind of lost interest in it for the moment and do the bare minimum to keep everything healthy. If I put cuttles in there, I am back to major ugly words once a week when I clean it. Then again, it would make a nice vulgaris tank :oops::biggrin2:

I have a nano like that... gets limited care, and then I move to my other tanks. Its like that cause I didnt want the tank, my husband did. So I have it till its one fish (a damsel) dies. Now if there was a ceph of some sort in there I would be all over that tank lol. Poor damsel :lol:.

I called the fish store today about cuttles, you know... just to see if they can get them. Low and behold they had some on there order list. The guy said they almost never get them in so I ordered 6 @ 7.5 each. It was one of those things where I called at just the right time because he was about to place the order. I took it as a sign lol. I might have to wait on taking down the 55 for a while and will just over haul the equipment for now I think. Either that or I will (until hatching and grow out) keep them in the 40 gallon I have for now.

I think cuttles will be an interesting change. Right now I am tired and sad about losing Isis and Sedona back to back but cant stand the thought of many more months with out some sort of ceph in the house.

I even emailed that guy from ebay, you know the one who sold "mated pairs" of octopus mercs... to ask him if he had any dwarfs... he said he had 2 right now that I could have gotten for 100$ that included shipping. While that may be tempting... I am not so sure how I feel about buying from these looney toon outfits that just have SELL SELL SELL on the brain.

:roflmao:
I have a nano like that... gets limited care, and then I move to my other tanks. Its like that cause I didnt want the tank, my husband did.

Actually, since we eliminated the horrible top and I have a rather cool anemone and Slither, my original mantis, lives there, I like it a lot more than I did when Neal insisted to put it back into operation. I even tried to suggest that he set it up in his den but that would have required him to take care of it so he decided he wanted it upstairs :roll:

dwhatley;169260 said:
:roflmao:

Actually, since we eliminated the horrible top and I have a rather cool anemone and Slither, my original mantis, lives there, I like it a lot more than I did when Neal insisted to put it back into operation. I even tried to suggest that he set it up in his den but that would have required him to take care of it so he decided he wanted it upstairs :roll:

Oh how I wish it was my husband who took care of that tank he just HAD to keep because of that fish. Did you know those fish can live 10-15 years?!?!!? Thats a long time to care for a fish you dont want.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back