Isis O. bimaculoides NEW OCTOPUS Surprise from my Husband!

I keep a towel handy when ever the top comes off, shooting water is Diablo's thing, he can hit the cieling and does if I am not fast enough. The worst is when you get it in the face :yuck:
You mention your husband giggled like a boy when Isis touched him, mine jumped like a sissy girl when Diablo grabbed him.
I am so happy for you, she sounds like great fun. :biggrin2:

I don't know why but all the water cannon stories make me laugh out loud (even when I go back and reread them looking for references). We have only had one octopus (Octane, O. hummelincki) to do that and he hit the lights 18 inches above the tank making Neal scream for me to come quickly. I missed the action by a fraction of a second (but not the clean up :biggrin2:).

Lmecher;165053 said:
I keep a towel handy when ever the top comes off, shooting water is Diablo's thing, he can hit the cieling and does if I am not fast enough. The worst is when you get it in the face :yuck:
You mention your husband giggled like a boy when Isis touched him, mine jumped like a sissy girl when Diablo grabbed him.
I am so happy for you, she sounds like great fun. :biggrin2:

We have impossibly high ceilings so if she hit the ceiling then we would have a real problem lol. I think the ceiling over the tank is at least another 10 feet.

I have jumped a few times when shes grabbed me because she doesnt just touch me... no no she uses 4 of her arms and pulls me to her beak lol. I am very happy that my husband did this for me. She is such a joy.

dwhatley;165055 said:
I don't know why but all the water cannon stories make me laugh out loud (even when I go back and reread them looking for references). We have only had one octopus (Octane, O. hummelincki) to do that and he hit the lights 18 inches above the tank making Neal scream for me to come quickly. I missed the action by a fraction of a second (but not the clean up :biggrin2:).

I giggle and the truth is I had always been a little bit jealous when I would read about them. I now understand the great desire everyone has to keep these octos.

On a side note, Isis doesnt keep normal hours. She is up at all hours. Actually I turned the light back on because shes up and out right now. Shes up at 12 in the afternoon and eats then hides (takes an afternoon nap I guess) and then comes back out and naps some more and on and on. Anyone have an octo like this?

Napping seems to be normal in all of them. Their biology suggest that they wear out very quickly and that fits with taking frequent naps. We have had some octos that were clockwork regular (except for the occassional no shows that everyone experiences) and other that seemed to be living on a different planets daily rotation (kind of like their keeper :wink:). It may change with age but Monty does not seem to keep normal hours but is starting to come out daily at tank feeding time whether or not he was out during the day (except tonight). Cassy and Tatanka are usually ready to pop out of the LR as soon as the lights go off at about 11:00 every night but I don't notice a roaming schedule after that.

Diablo is not octopus-like in so many ways. He has never dissapointed unlike Ollie that guests never even caught a glimpse of before 11 pm and more often not at all. Napping throught out the day describes Diablo perfectly. Speaking of the water cannon, it is the one thing I absolutely hate about Diablo. It is almost automatic as soon as he hits the surface. I have considered a cork but then again...nah, he'd probably shoot my eye out.

Tonights pictures.

My husband thought it would be a good idea to take pictures looking down into the tank... LOL Isis shot him with her cannon lol. I laughed and laughed and laughed.

Heres a picture of just before or durring, I'm not really sure which lol.

Isis024.jpg

Isis022.jpg

Isis023.jpg

Isis019.jpg

Isis025.jpg

dwhatley;165139 said:
Hopefully the camera is no worse for wear (your husband will dry :biggrin2:)

That is the very thing I worry about when phtotographing Diablo from above with cover off. These looking-down photos are my favorites. Diablo likes to stick his head out of the water and look at me. I have been lucky that my camera has stayed dry. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Oh what a great weapon the loaded cannon would make. An octopus could carry extra ammunition with all those arms. I think this idea has possibilities. :lol:

So I finally went and found some USA shrimp today. Isis ate it right up. There is little to nothing she wont eat. So far I have given her clams, scallops, shrimp and fiddlers. She eats so well I am amazed. I think if she keeps this up I will be able to slow down my orders to Paul lol much to his disappointment lol.

I didn't realize it when I bought them but the shrimp I got today are HUGE. I think I could cut one up into 4th's or 5th's and she would still be able to have plenty per sitting.

I am still amazed by how social she is. She hid most of today and I started to worry about her so I went looking. After a min I found her on top of a clam she had pulled behind the rocks to keep at her den lol. I guess D was right but man those clams are HUGE too. After I disturbed her she came out and started begging so I gave her the shrimp... I think she really liked the shrimp.

Last night I feed Isis one fiddler crab and one shrimp tail on a stick. She is very clever. She has been aching to get a hold of my hand and I don't think its to make nice. She uses 4 of her arms to pull me to her beak and holds on to something else with the other 4. Last night she got a hold of the feeding stick and wouldn't give it back. Then it seemed like she knew I wanted it back so she would use it to taunt me to try and get my hand.:sagrin: Heres a pic...

Isis027.jpg

Part of me thinks I should just be brave and let her pull my hand to her... bite me or not she would then figure out that I am not something she would be able to eat and maybe stop doing it. Has anyone ever been bitten by a bimac?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back