• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Isis O. bimaculoides NEW OCTOPUS Surprise from my Husband!

Joined
Sep 25, 2006
Messages
563
Neat-O!
I think I can see in the picture that the blue ring in the eyespot isn't a solid ring, but more like a chain. Is that true? I think that means that you have a bimaculatus, not a bimaculoides. Bimaculatus is a small egged species, and gets a little larger than bimaculoides. If it's bimaculoides, I don't see how they could have been captive hatched, so maybe I'm seeing things in the picture that aren't there.
 

Jabba954

GPO
Registered
Joined
Jul 21, 2009
Messages
104
I love bimacs - see them all the time scuba diving in La Jolla (and smaller octos up here in the Bay Area - though we have seen twice now BIG mama GPOs). Full grown they are a lot bigger and stronger than I would have expected. And not very friendly - one stole my buddy's dive light.
 
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
1,462
Jabba954;164701 said:
I love bimacs - see them all the time scuba diving in La Jolla (and smaller octos up here in the Bay Area - though we have seen twice now BIG mama GPOs). Full grown they are a lot bigger and stronger than I would have expected. And not very friendly - one stole my buddy's dive light.

From what I have read their personalities vary greatly. Some are far more friendly than others. I wouldnt want to be alone in a tank with one though.

Lmecher;164709 said:
Congratualtions, she is beautiful. I love the name too.
Thank you... I think shes beautiful! My husband called his friend for me because I wouldnt leave him alone about her and he said she was wild caught.

Joe-Ceph;164684 said:
Neat-O!
I think I can see in the picture that the blue ring in the eyespot isn't a solid ring, but more like a chain. Is that true? I think that means that you have a bimaculatus, not a bimaculoides. Bimaculatus is a small egged species, and gets a little larger than bimaculoides. If it's bimaculoides, I don't see how they could have been captive hatched, so maybe I'm seeing things in the picture that aren't there.

There seems to be some confusion as to which has which spots. I was reading here http://www.tonmo.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-6173.html and other threads that contradict each other so I am unsure which I have. I know now that she is wild caught so at this point it could be either.
 
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
1,462
Also from what D said the best way to see the eye spots is front on. Since these arent I will try to get better pics later today. Joe-Ceph do you have any pics of you octos spots?

I hope Nancy will ring in here soon.

I was wondering why Isis was staying hidden all day then I found her hiding behind some rock and kelp. If you look at that white thing she is sitting on... thats a large 3 inch clam. Its been in the tank for months and either shes eating it for dinner or its a very cozy place to rest.
 

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Messages
2,833
from "Cephalopods: A World Guide"

Bimaculatus - The ocellus contains an iridescent blue ring in the form of broken chain links with spokes extending to the outer edge of the false eye spot. - small egged- size body to 20cm and arms 80cm

Bimaculoides- The iridescent ring with in the ocellus is in the form of unbroken chain links. - large egged- body 12cm and arms 35cm


pics of Ollie here: http://www.tonmo.com/cephcare/BimacCareSheet.php
 

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
20,973
Even though the eyespots are below the eye you will not likely get at front on photo of it :biggrin2: but I see you found a very good angle. Good shot! The "spokes" are probably the starburst you originally saw.

LOL, If she has been "hiding" over a clam all day, I suspect she is trying to open it. It takes them quite awhile. I have had two that I knew opened them and they decided easy food was better. Neither one ever opened a second one.
 
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
1,462
CaptFish;164736 said:
from "Cephalopods: A World Guide"

Bimaculatus - The ocellus contains an iridescent blue ring in the form of broken chain links with spokes extending to the outer edge of the false eye spot. - small egged- size body to 20cm and arms 80cm

Bimaculoides- The iridescent ring with in the ocellus is in the form of unbroken chain links. - large egged- body 12cm and arms 35cm


pics of Ollie here: http://www.tonmo.com/cephcare/BimacCareSheet.php

Thank you Capt. So according to that she is in fact a bimaculoides.

dwhatley;164737 said:
Even though the eyespots are below the eye you will not likely get at front on photo of it :biggrin2: but I see you found a very good angle. Good shot! The "spokes" are probably the starburst you originally saw.

LOL, If she has been "hiding" over a clam all day, I suspect she is trying to open it. It takes them quite awhile. I have had two that I knew opened them and they decided easy food was better. Neither one ever opened a second one.

She finally gave up after a while lol. I gave her a scallop and I have never seen an octopus eat with such gusto lol. After she ate that I saw her do something rather strange with a hermit crab. She was swimming around holding it under her beak. I wish I had gotten a picture but after a while she started to hide when ever she saw the camera. Is that normal... for them to bring food a long for the ride?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
20,949
Messages
206,913
Members
8,474
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak


Top