Is this the real Magnapinna?

Bald Evil said:
There is a lot of junk in that squid's trunk. :shock:

That's the magna in magnapinna.

Do larger fins generally indicate stronger swimmers? Mesonychoteuthis also has a lot of junk in the trunk, compared to Architeuthis, and is expected to be the more aggressive hunter.

Melissa

I was wondering if those huge fins might be better suited to generally slower but more efficient swimming. Could they be used for something like gliding, or as some sort of a drogue to slow the squid's rate of descent?

Thinkin' out loud...

Before answering this post, Um...., I'd like to have a little more imagery (live animal footage) of various squid swimming - especially a contrast between big- and comparatively little-finned squid species.

The enormous and quite delicate fins of this Magnapinna would certainly appear more suited to gentle gliding or hovering than they would be to swimming ... but I don't want to say that this is the case (not yet). Just call it one of those mysteries, soon to be resolved.
Cheers
O

Steve O'Shea said:
Just call it one of those mysteries, soon to be resolved.

Done. I wasn't really expecting anything solid, given the 3(?) specimens in hand and the 0(?) observations of the things alive in the water.

:cyclops:

Hi,

Have you any idea where or how to obtain some of those submarine videos to analyize squid swimming ?
Cheers,
Alehandro

I'd like to have a little more imagery (live animal footage) of various squid swimming - especially a contrast between big- and comparatively little-finned squid species.

There are quite a few snippets online, various locations, Alehandro, but from what I've seen so far you cannot look at fin morphology in isolation, relating this to an animal's behaviour; the film snippets are very much snapshots in time of a squid doing something remarkable or interesting, quite often an escape reaction, so it's hard to know what they do with their fins otherwise.

Over the next few months we intend to put series of 'swimming-squid' shots online (on Tonmo). Plans, plans, plans .... but little time.

Well, I had a pleasant surprise last week - a wee vist from Dr Alejandro Salcedo; we sat down and talked squid all avo - twas wonderful. He's been a bit busy of late, hence his silence.

I like putting faces to names, so for those of you interested in what ceph gurus look like, well, here's Alejandro.

download.php

download.php

Steve,
I can't go into the archives and don't know if you are looking for squid or personal photos but I did a quick Google search for
Alejandro Salcedo Mastigoteuthis
and came up indirectly with this TOL page that may be of interest: Mastigoteuthis.

Also, if you are looking for something more that might be on the web, his whole name, Mario Alejandro Salcedo-Vargas might be helpful

Hey D! Steve was telling me about these photos because the specimen that he was talking about in this thread is one that I might have (or now need to find) for my thesis since I'm working on the Mastigos in NZ. It would be really awesome if the pictures from this thread could be recovered because it would help me immensely.

Heather,
I kind of thought that might be the case from your FB communications and figured you had already been to TOL but that was all I could find. You might PM Tony with a link back to the thread to be sure he sees the request as he is the only one that MIGHT be able to locate the pictures that became detached during an upgrade. I think he has them but does not have a way to associate them with the posts.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back