• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Is this shrimp a problem??

So I have seen this LiveAquaria® - Alpheus lottini shrimp or at least something that looks like this shrimp in my tank. It came in a shipment of mysids from Paul so I know it came from Florida waters. Is this a problem that I should be worried about?

And if it isnt this shrimp any idea of what other shimp might look like this but be from Florida?

Thanks for the help.

There are snapping/popping shrimp in FL and they are not a problem (and probably too fast to get caught but octo safe).How big is the shrimp you are talking about? The popping shrimp make a clicking noise but you might also hear this with members of the mantis family when they strike the glass or rock. Mantis can be a problem for a small octopus (usually, it becomes octo dinner though, I lost one to Maya trying to capture it). Kara at SeaLifeInc has a good selection in stock right now so you can look at the photos to see if you can isolate your critter (clicking on the photos in the list will take you to the writeup. Clicking on the photo in the write up will give you a larger image).

I would say it looks like the red snaping shrimp she has listed only its not very red. When I got the shrimp it was just a little bit larger that a mysid shrimp. Now its about 2 inches long. Its very fast too. I dont know that I could catch it with out taking the whole reef apart.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back