• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

is this normal for cuttle eggs

Reefin'

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi, I have some cuttle eggs . I've had them since 3/1/09....since then most have swollen...about a week ago or so I tried to look throught them with a bright light and could not see through them.. Since then they seem to be sloughing the outer layer of the egg off..is this normal? now I can see throught them in front of a 400watt bulb....I can see something small in there....I don't think its moving.....should it be moving around at this point? Or is it to early still......I don't have a heater in my 100gal tank which these are inside of in a picture frame breeder.....so sometimes it runs a bit cool

So are these still good?....I work on some pic..

What temp? When you say a bit cool, what does that mean?

It sound like your eggs are duds. They shouldn't be sloughing anything. Healthy eggs swell and become transparent and you should see the cuttles clearly. Dud eggs are kind of milky inside and no cuttle. However, its hard to tell without a pic (which is prolly why you had 40 views with nothing to say - you said you were going to post a pic).

The other thing to do is browse this site for pics of healthy eggs and dud eggs and compare them to your eggs.

Thanks for the quick response....sorry about the pic....I posted last nite as I was going to bed.....just got home from work......ill work on getting some pics up tonite....the temp varies from at the very very lowest 72f(we had some cold weather week or two ago) to 78 where its at right now....no heater but I keep the house heated 24 hrs...I hope there not duds! That means like 50 or so duds!
I look up some old pics
Thanks

hopefully these pics work !

the first show just a shot of them.they look dusty and have a little hair algae strands starting to grow.

the second pic u can see the little sucker in the egg on the right.....its head and yoke sak are about the same size .the yolk sak could be a little bigger.kind of hard to tell which end is which!

the third pic just shows a pic of them all.and the forth shows an egg and its skin thats peeled off... i grabbed at the skin and it finished peeling off. i can see it in there also....

sorry i cant get better pics...dang blackberry...

hopefully there fine....and just alittle dirty lookin..is ther baby cuttle suppose to swimming around at that young of an age going by the yolk sak....i hope there not gonna be stillborn..

Attachments

• conv_294052.jpg
    conv_294052.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 97
  • conv_294053.jpg
    conv_294053.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 117
  • conv_294054.jpg
    conv_294054.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 104
  • conv_294055.jpg
    conv_294055.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 83
The eggs with something inside look like this pic posted by Thales........

What's the best method to look at eggs lit up.....I always just seem to get the light in my eyes and see nothing that way...thanks

Woohoo!! One hatched last nite...
Its hiding under an egg cluster....25 days since I bought these...its a little bigger than I was expecting......ill try to get a pic of it alittle latr

So I've noticed a couple of the eggs have a rupture with a clear blob bulging out...

One of these is deflating or losing pressure because of this hole....

Could this be them trying to get out? causing a rupture.
Is this normal?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back