Is this dangerous??

Obdiah2

Hatchling
Registered
I found this octopus today - the first I have ever seen. My friend and I picked it up, but I'm wondering if that was stupid. I know there is a dangerous one in Australia (blue ring), but we are in Southern California. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Octopus3.jpg

Octopus2.jpg

Octopus5.jpg

Thank you,

Jake

You're right, there are no blue rings in Southern California.

The octopus could have bitten you, but it didn't and most of the time they don't. You don't know what species this is, but I'd guess it's an O. bimaculoides , a species we commonly keep in our tanks. Their coloring looks quite different out of the water.

It's not a good idea to pick up any species you can't identify. If you get bitten, you could have an allergic reaction (like people can with bee stings) or you might get an infection salt water getting in the wound.

Nancy

Upvote 0
I was in Palos Verdes near the Portuguese Bend Club. I like to look for snake above that area, but when I can't find any I head down to the tide pools below.

-Jake

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back