Is Octopi the Correct Plural of Octopus?

Octopi, Octopuses, or Octopodes

No matter how you say it, it all means the same thing. But, just because I think this is a rather interesting subject I think I will try to give my (mostly borrowed opinion). This subject came up about a year ago when I got into an argument with a biology teacher about the word Octopuses being incorrect. The seemingly most popular form of Octopi is actually they most Incorrect way to say it. The word Octopi would assume that the word octopus is derived from a Latin noun, which is incorrect the word is actually Latinized Greek from oktopous making the correct plural Octopodes?? Hmmm... I have seen alot of discussion on this and most end up saying that either Octipi or Octipuses or even both are correct. But thats just not true. I will have to admit I was wrong, even though Octopuses is still commonely considered "more" correct than Octipi it is still incorrect. So for all you saying Octipi OR Octopuses stop, your wrong, haha. That said, let the criticism's fly.

ryan

:smile:

I agree that all are "acceptable", but I've chosen a course on TONMO.com that "octopuses" is what we recognize as being the "correct" treatment. And I forget why! I guess it's because, as the Site FAQ says, it's an "English" word, not Latin.

It seems I've used up my quotes quota on this post... :rolleyes:

If you do a forum search for "octopodes" you can see that much sound and fury has already been expended on this topic.

I favor a balance between practicality and authenticity, so I've chosen to avoid "octopi" as wrong and "octopodes" as incomprehensible, and stick with octopuses, satisfying no one but myself. Linguistic sticklers rarely seem to swim against the tide and use "octopodes" consistently, although you're welcome to try. I suspect if you make fun of those of us who don't tilt at that windmill that many of us will make fun of you back, however. :tongue:

Haha, I can always look for a laugh from you, to tell you the truth, I'm a little ashamed as I to myself won't ever say octopi just because of that very fight, and find that I feel ridiculously stupid saying octopodes, leaving me no choice but to say octopuses with a very peculiar feeling of satisfaction.

I recall reading somewhere that octopuses was being used when more than one species were discussed, while octopi was preferred when referring to multiple individuals of a single species. I wish I could recall who was doing that, though.

tonmo;108714 said:
Sounds familiar. Perhaps that was mentioned in one of Richard Ellis' books?

Yeah, I was thinking Ellis, too, although I'm not certain either.

I remember it seemed sort of analogous to fish: you go to the market to buy 10 fish, but ichthyologists study the teleost fishes of the eastern Pacific. I think it's pretty well established that octopi is sort of a sophomoric construction, though (and I'm sure my 7th grade teacher would be pleased that I used "sophomoric" in everyday speech!)

Octopuses sounds nicer to me.

But y'know just because a word is popular doesn't mean it'll stay around if it's deemed incorrect.

Brontosaurus always sounded nicer than Apatosaurus to me, but it was incorrect, therefore, no more Brontosaurus.

and...

...PLUTO IS STILL A PLANET!

CapnNemo;108716 said:
Octopuses sounds nicer to me.

But y'know just because a word is popular doesn't mean it'll stay around if it's deemed incorrect.

Brontosaurus always sounded nicer than Apatosaurus to me, but it was incorrect, therefore, no more Brontosaurus.

and...

...PLUTO IS STILL A PLANET!

That's how I feel about "filosus" vs. "hummellincki"... filosus just sounds better to me.

Yeah, i was disappointed when i sen that filosus had changed :frown:

I prefer octopuses too and that's what I'll be sticking with LOL

yeah, I can't even spell hummellincki... at least I have a shot at spelling filosus

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back