Is Octopi the Correct Plural of Octopus?

No, I meant what I said, it is not an appropriate as a reference. It is a good tool to use for general information and as a starting point.

esquid;128786 said:
why does it say something about wikipedia not being an appropriate reference?

You said why does it say something about wikipedia being an incorrect reference, however my signature says nothing about it being an incorrect reference, so I assumed that you meant why does it NOT say something about wikipedia being an incorrect reference because otherwise I don't see how it makes sense...

And I agree with you if my implied meaning was correct, wikipedia is not a relevant reference source, however, it is the easiest to link to and understand, AND, you can't find any sane site online that will argue with the statement wikipedia provided...

kpage

Wonderpus
Registered
Lol I like the video, she sums it up pretty well. "Octopus was originally greek, therefore it ends "es". The "i" ending is for words with a latin base. Most people consider "octopuses" to be the correct way. "Octopodes" is correct however it isn't as widely used.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I now know how to properly say octopodes! I was pronouncing it octo podes or octo pods when I get the above spiel.:oops:

Ock-TAH-puh-dees

This Mirriam-Webster video talks about the origins of the pluralization of "octopus."

Of course it makes sense that the Greek version would be pronounced "ock TAH puh dees" (my own phonetic approximation), but I confess to using only three syllables previously.

The video states what we here have long accepted: "octopuses" is the best plural.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
This is the best presentation I have seen on the subject (as you can imagine, it comes up often) but you are slightly late in finding it. I had a similar mispronounciation issue when it was first exposed

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
I moved this thread to the new Fact Check forum (and left a permanent redirect from where it originated in Our Community - lots of inbound links for this topic!)

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member

Attachments

• conv_298455.jpg
    conv_298455.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 260

Latest Posts