• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Is octo hidden too long?

thanks Colin
there is no blue anywere
I took a one hour ride to the beach today cause a friend told me there are thousands of fiddler crabs there but I guess they dont come out in the winter cause I didnt even see one but I did get some muscles man was it cold out there
I did find some fiddlers at the store yesterday and I put three in the tank I dont see any today

well Colin I guess I was wrong My Bigger octo didnt eat any of the crabs I put in the tank but after three days of not eating I fed it a gold fish with forceps I had to actuly bump the octo with the fish I tried it with a crab and a crey fish first but nothing hapened I also have a muscle in the tank that has not been touched

My little guy only eats fish also it hasnt touched any of the hermits I put in the tank but today I put a live goldfish in when the lights whent out and I saw it grab the fish that was cool !!!

hi manny, it was important to make sure that the octo at least ate somthing but keep trying to get it to eat crustaceans as that is a better diet for it!
Well done so far :smile:

C

Little touch-up on this situation...Gollum is very odd, even for an octo! A week ago, I was startled to see him up against the glass! He was still trying to make himself small and unobservable...he probably was out and about (lights were off) and saw me before I saw him, and made a beeline for the closest "safe" place! :lol: After checking him out closely, I turned my back for a bit to do some stuff...and sure enough, he was gone when I turned around.

I suspect he's found some favorite hiding places in the back of my live rock, as I've once again been unable to find him since that incident. Difficult to see back there. Just last night, in fact, I discovered I have quite a healthy colony of polyps (fleshy stony or soft corals) growing back there which I didn't even know about! :biggrin2:

So, anyway...I guess being out of sight for VERY extended periods, depending on the octo, isn't necessarily a bad sign.

rusty

Yeah thats true, but wait until you get an active diurnal octopus. i think you'll love it!

:smile:

Hi Rusty,

Think it's so nice that you have an octopus who doesn't behave as the perfect pet, and yet you still like him and give him a good home. I've vowed to do the same, in case I get a less-than-social octopus.

Nancy

Thanks...and as I've mentioned, it's oddly endearing. He has in some ways more attitude than the most visible and agressive of octos...he's not going to put up with me no matter how hard I try to acclimate him--he's gonna do his own thing, period! :P Gotta respect that...

Also, I've viewed this as something of a learning experience from the start. Each different octo will be a lesson in ceph behavior and species characteristics (to some degree...one octo does not a species make...) So I don't mind that part of it either.

I've had experience with unwanted animals before...so maybe that's part of it too. I'm happily omnivorous and though I never really liked squid calamari, I suppose I'd eat it on rare occasion...but I think on average, we should show FAR more responsibility and compassion for other animals than we do. And I confess I prolly WOULD be squeamish about eating octo... :biggrin2:

rusty

LOL you sounded like wise old Yoda here '(to some degree...one octo does not a species make...)'

Anyway, :smile: you are right about the behaviour, all species seem to different and some individuals within that species are different too...

This aculeatus is sort of in the middle.. active, visual but not particularly interactive with me...

C

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back