Is octo hidden too long?

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
LOL here we go again :smile:

well, see if your shop can tell you which parts of the world they came from...

The big one looks a bit like a vulgaris or similar, the more pics the better! A pic of the eys sometimes helps.. any blue rings on the webbing?

The smaller octo has very large eyes by the look of that pic, it looks a bit like briareus, but hard to tell from the pic. does it have an irridescent blue sheen on its body?

The more pics the better, but I have had species that i cant yet ID!

C

PS as long as the octo is healthy it doesnt really matter too much what species it is :smile:

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Me again.......

Actually I have been looking through a lot of pictures and I have a pic of Octopus mercatoris via Chris Shaw and it seems very close to your dwarf!

i havnt personally kept this species but if Pat/rudiger is still lurking (:wink:) he might be able to help out a bit on care because his original female mercatoris was the mother of Chris's.

C

manny

O. bimaculoides
Registered
thanks Colin
there is no blue anywere
I took a one hour ride to the beach today cause a friend told me there are thousands of fiddler crabs there but I guess they dont come out in the winter cause I didnt even see one but I did get some muscles man was it cold out there
I did find some fiddlers at the store yesterday and I put three in the tank I dont see any today

manny

O. bimaculoides
Registered
well Colin I guess I was wrong My Bigger octo didnt eat any of the crabs I put in the tank but after three days of not eating I fed it a gold fish with forceps I had to actuly bump the octo with the fish I tried it with a crab and a crey fish first but nothing hapened I also have a muscle in the tank that has not been touched

My little guy only eats fish also it hasnt touched any of the hermits I put in the tank but today I put a live goldfish in when the lights whent out and I saw it grab the fish that was cool !!!

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
hi manny, it was important to make sure that the octo at least ate somthing but keep trying to get it to eat crustaceans as that is a better diet for it!
Well done so far :smile:

C

Little touch-up on this situation...Gollum is very odd, even for an octo! A week ago, I was startled to see him up against the glass! He was still trying to make himself small and unobservable...he probably was out and about (lights were off) and saw me before I saw him, and made a beeline for the closest "safe" place! :lol: After checking him out closely, I turned my back for a bit to do some stuff...and sure enough, he was gone when I turned around.

I suspect he's found some favorite hiding places in the back of my live rock, as I've once again been unable to find him since that incident. Difficult to see back there. Just last night, in fact, I discovered I have quite a healthy colony of polyps (fleshy stony or soft corals) growing back there which I didn't even know about! :biggrin2:

So, anyway...I guess being out of sight for VERY extended periods, depending on the octo, isn't necessarily a bad sign.

rusty

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Yeah thats true, but wait until you get an active diurnal octopus. i think you'll love it!

:smile:

Latest Posts