• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

is a Solana 34 gal good enough for a pair of Bandesis?

Hello:

I have a 34 Gallon AIO Solana tank (made by current-usa) cycled and ready to go, it has the built in skimmer which has been generally regarded as a good skimmer, I also have the 150w HQI pendant light on it.

I have 20 pounds of sand and about 30 pounds of LR, converted the middle chamber to a Macro Algae chamber with Cheato in it and in the final chamber I have some Bioballs.

The tank is rimless and it has not top on it. I am able to maintain temperatures of 76-78 degrees at all times.

The question:

Is this tank well suited for a pair of Bandesis Cuttlefish? Are there any modifications that could be recommended to further enhance this tank?

Regards,

Estefano

:welcome:

People have kept one bandensis in a 29gal with a sump, but I'm not sure if 2 adults would produce enough waste to overwhelm that system's filtration. I know Cuttlegirl had some concerns when her 3 cuttles grew from tiny to medium sized in her 29gal, but I don't remember what the problems were, or how big they got before she moved them to a larger tank.

You should be okay as long as you test often to keep your water parameters in check, and don't plan on keeping SPS corals that require low nutrients because they will likely have poor color. I would replace the Bioballs with more live rock. Live rock does a much better job.

Mushrooms and some LPS

Hello:

I was planning on keeping mushrooms, polyps and some LPS corals (non stinging ones) in the tank. From what I have been reading cuttlefish feed alot, however I could always have the ability to add a HOB reef octopus skimmer which I have had great sucess with (I have 2 of them running and I cant tell you how impressed I am with them)

I guess adding more LR would not be a bad idea, I have always liked 1.5 pounds per gallon which would put it at around 50 pounds of LR for that tank.

Regards,

Estefano

Looks good. As you mentioned, a better skimmer is a good idea. Cephs will produce a lot of waste and often will leave half eaten foods (shrimp heads). I would advise a skimmer rated much higher then the tank volume for ceph systems. Also ensure you rinse out your chaeto or macro algae every once in a while since it will collect a lot of detritus once it grows thick.

Its also a good idea to have some sort of scavenger animal that will eat any left over bits of food. My tank has a lot of impressive sized brittle worms that devoir any left over scraps the cuttles leave. Im looking to add a red serpent star as well since they will actually be a nice looking scavenger.

It is possible to keep low nutrient ceph systems, but it will require more complex and advanced filtration systems.

Good luck and dont forget about pictures!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back