Introduction - Looking for some beginner's advice (Deep Sea)

Hello to all!

I'm Victor, 22, an Economics student from Brazil.

I decided some time ago to spend part of my free time on topics that I always liked, but never took the time to actively dive in properly. One of these subjects is: The Deep Sea.

So, although the space and discovering new planets is also very cool, I've always been fascinated about how little we know about the deep sea and the creatures living there, principally because we are so near the oceans, even surrounded by them.

A couple years ago I read a popular science book from Bill Bryson, A Short History of Nearly Everything, and there I got in touch again with the mysteries of the oceans, particularly, the battles between Colossal Squids and Sperm Whales. Those brief pages brought back my fascination over the deep sea, and now I'm starting to take the time to study it.

My first interest quickly took a first direction: Squids.

Architeuthis Dux
and Mesonychoteuthis Hamiltoni. Wow, such incredible animals!

For my first researches I went after some documentaries about the oceans in general and the deep sea. Got in touch with the Mariana Trench and others, the Challenger's Deep, deep sea gigantism, twilight zone and others, anglers, sharks, whales, and more. Then I wanted more information about the Squids and the other Cephalopods in general.

As you may have guessed by now, it took me here.

And now, after trying to introduce myself, more or less, I'm here to humbly ask for some direction in my studies. I don't have any formation in Biology, and haven't studied it in years, but I've liked what I read so far on this community.

I'm still very interested in the deep sea and its mysteries, but learning about squids and cephalopods in general has been really fun. I'll leave below some of the pages here that I have already went through or found, because I took my time exploring the website before posting this. I'll also leave below the documentaries that I've already watched and others that I plan to watch, and I'd be glad to receive some indications or recomendations aswell!

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read my acquaintance, and I hope that I can learn a lot here and try to contribute positively with my participation! Hahaha

Pages:

Giant Squid and Colossal Squid Fact Sheet

Deep-Sea Cephalopods: An Introduction and Overview

Documentaries (seen):

The Blue Planet (Episodes 1 and 2)
Life of Oceans
Inside Nature's Giants: Giant Squid
The Kraken Project: In Search of the Giant Squid
Inside the Deepest Part of the World

Documentaries (not seen):

Chasing Giants: On the Trail of the Giant Squid
MonsterQuest: Giant Squid Found
Monster Squid: The Giant is Real
Giant Squid: Filiming the Impossible - Natural World Special

More TONMO reading :cephdevil:
Giant Squid - Architeuthidae in Cephalopod Species (By Family)
Colossal Squid - Cranchiidae in Cephalopod Species (By Family)

For ceph encounters of all sorts, visit Diving & Ceph Encounters You will find a list of videos in the Cephalopod Videos (yellow sticky at the top) thread as well as many other interesting experiences.

When you have an hour and a half, this is the quintessential giant squid video to watch. It is the full version of the Discovery Channel's Monster Squid The Giant is Real and features two scientists that are near and dear to older TONMO member's hearts (Dr. Tsunemi Kubodera, Dr. Steve OShea, Clyde Roper and Richard Ellis). There are a lot of out takes from this adventure posted on Youtube but this is the only full version I could find that is still freely viewable.

If internals interest you here is a colossal squid dissection starring current staff members (Dr. Kat Bolstad (Tintenfisch) and AAron Boyd Evans (GPO87)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back