Introducing Ziggy

Nancy said:
Does Ziggy have any amphipods or anything else in the tank he could be eating? You might also try a small piece of frozen thawed shrimp.

He was raised on the clams and must like them, but they seem to be hard to keep. Hope they work!

Nancy

Nancy,

Me to! Thanks!!

I have a wee bit of live rock in the crib with him and a good bit of live rock in the aquarium but I am pretty sure that the pod population is low.

My live caught bimac was eating me out of house and aquarium after only a day or so up until old age set in.

Clams are on the menu!

Baby clams arrived today (thanks octopets!) and when I dropped one in it hardly spent a second on the ground before it was grabbed and wisked away into Zig's den.

The shrimp is still in the crib and doing just fine...

how is he with the anenomme and the clowns. i have a 150 gallon with lots of live rock and an anenomme and a clarki clown and some damsels. it is just fully cycled and all i need ot do is seal the top of the tank then i can get my octo. let me know about the anenomme please it would be a great help and people say they cant be kept with octos's you must have proved them wrong

greg

If this is an anenome that stings, it's not good to put your octo in with it. The octos from octopets are tiny and would need to be protected by being in a special container for a while.

I guess Ziggy missed his baby food :smile: You might try buying a live clam or mussel, opening it and cutting a tiny piece for Zig and seeing whether he would take it. He can't eat baby clams forever.

Barnstorm, how are you keeping the baby clams?

Nancy

Greg,

I snuck that reef photo in. That is not my octo tank. That is my nano-cube. The greatest reef tank setup I have ever worked with.

In the octo tank Ziggy is in a 'crib', a small plastic 'critter cage'. In the tank I have 1 damsel which is very mild mannered, 3 brittle stars (1 small, 2 baby stars), 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 sand-sifting star, 2 conch sand sifters, 1 chocolate chip star, 1 turbo snail, 1 small female fiddler crab and a small workforce of blue and red legged hermit crabs.

I have a couple of pieces of live rock that I hand-picked for there 'caves'.

The bottom of the tank is 2/3 fine reef sand and 1/3 fine crushed shells.

Lots of the tank livestock will become food for Ziggy once he outgrows his crib. I need them now to keep up the tank and give the biological filter a load.

In the nano-reef-tank I keep anemones but only because the clowns like em. They are a big pain and a risk to the tank. Also, they need light that I doubt the octo would be happy with.

My previous bimac left my damsel alone for the most part but I had one damsel that would try to push the octopus out of it's territory! If you have a good healthy anemone that is established I think you would be 'ok' but I would think it an unnecessary risk. Don't let the anemone tumble down on the octo's lair.

Do you have a new tank for the octopus? If so you could get it cycled up fast by using rock, sand, filter material, water changes and other stuff from your cycled 150. It is expensive but I am a BIG fan of Fritzime. It is the only product that delivers what so many other flim-flamers promise.

Otherwise, get a plastic cage to put in your tank for a crib and see how it goes.

Nancy,

Thanks!

I am keeping the clams in a 2.5 gallon glass aquarium right now. I plan on putting the whole 2.5 gal in my 75 gallon. I will keep glass lid on so I can feed the clams snow without it dispersing in the tank. Someday I will let him sneak into the clam tank and have his pick.

He seems to have a hard time opening the clams so I cracked the shells of two today and gave them to him.

the anenomme has been in the tank for about a month and it has nt moved places other tha the first day . now it seems to be in one spot. i think i might try the smaller tank inside my 150 until the octo gets bigger. the salinity is 1.026 ph is 8.2 and the ammonia is at .1 or .05 almost nothing. i know i have to wait about another 2weeks before i get an octo but i was asking if the anenomme will be ok. well let me know thanx.

greg

ERK! STINGING CNIDARIANS= NO-NO! Octos have very sensitive skin, and even a small anemone can do damage. Besides, anemones are very hard to care for.

WARNING: ECO-SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT COMMENCING.

Personally, however, I am against keeping anemones at all, as many are wild-caught and die in tanks, and as they can live for hundreds-maybe over a thousand-years, you never know how old the animal is. Keeping a seven century old creature doesn't seem quite right.

ECO-SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT ENDED.

Cephkid,

agreed. and all true.

He however already has the anemone and if it has stablized well the only two big things to worry about are the anemone dying or the octopus getting stung too badly.

Though it does happen, most critters know to steer clear or learn after only a minor sting.

It can be hard to find captive-raised anemones but they are worth the effort.

Lovely octopus, Barnstorm. I hope you really enjoy his company!

Phil

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back