[Octopus]: Introducing Motiarty o. rubescens

Moriarty (final name) is doing great. Tonight though was the first time he came right up to the glass when I walked in and watched me so after a minute or two I (had just washed my hands so I) wiggled my fingers and he swam right up to me and checked out my hand. I did get a tiny nibble but very light touch - no mark at all. Before that I had felt his beak but he hadn’t actually nibbled me. Then we interacted a bit more and I tried to give him a shrimp in a jar to see what he would do but he wasn’t interested. He is always more interested in my hand than anything else - I often try to hand him a hermit and he will take it but then immediately drop it and grab my hand instead. Different kinds of toys he will touch for a moment or two but then loses interest quickly. He is still generally intent on pulling me in, though. The only thing I am bummed is that because he is a ruby I keep the tank at 57 (that way even if it gets crazy hot here or I lose power for a short while I can still keep it under 60), and I am a wimp so my hand gets super cold 🥶

I live Moriarty so much! He always comes to say “hi” now by trying to pull my arm into the tank if I wiggle my fingers. and I got my first full view of his beak when he was reaching across the tank to me upside down - it is so striking! Anyway, he has starting “testing out” by gently nibbling at my fingers. I am not really sure what he is doing since he never actually bites me, any ideas? Just exploring?

I live Moriarty so much! He always comes to say “hi” now by trying to pull my arm into the tank if I wiggle my fingers. and I got my first full view of his beak when he was reaching across the tank to me upside down - it is so striking! Anyway, he has starting “testing out” by gently nibbling at my fingers. I am not really sure what he is doing since he never actually bites me, any ideas? Just exploring?
Just testing your skin I think. They might also like the feeling the way some parrots do… cause my merc would do it too

Congratulations on your new friend! I find that they regularly try to pull my hands into their dens- just doesn’t work! 🤣. Beautiful animal, and I LOVE the name!

Got some good videos the other night - overflow is really loud in the videos so silent viewing is better. Tonight I gave him a Zoom lures that someone else mentioned and he is obsessed. He’s never handled anything else for more then 5 seconds and as far as I know he’s still holding onto that thing - he took it to his den. Also learned a lesson to not give it to him until the end of the night so I don’t make myself obsolete as a plaything
:biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back