[Octopus]: Introducing Motiarty o. rubescens

Hadla

GPO
Registered
Yeah when Oliver realized he couldn’t pull my arm in any further, he stayed on the glass and explored further up

AuroraVK

Blue Ring
Registered
Moriarty (final name) is doing great. Tonight though was the first time he came right up to the glass when I walked in and watched me so after a minute or two I (had just washed my hands so I) wiggled my fingers and he swam right up to me and checked out my hand. I did get a tiny nibble but very light touch - no mark at all. Before that I had felt his beak but he hadn’t actually nibbled me. Then we interacted a bit more and I tried to give him a shrimp in a jar to see what he would do but he wasn’t interested. He is always more interested in my hand than anything else - I often try to hand him a hermit and he will take it but then immediately drop it and grab my hand instead. Different kinds of toys he will touch for a moment or two but then loses interest quickly. He is still generally intent on pulling me in, though. The only thing I am bummed is that because he is a ruby I keep the tank at 57 (that way even if it gets crazy hot here or I lose power for a short while I can still keep it under 60), and I am a wimp so my hand gets super cold 🥶

AuroraVK

Blue Ring
Registered
I live Moriarty so much! He always comes to say “hi” now by trying to pull my arm into the tank if I wiggle my fingers. and I got my first full view of his beak when he was reaching across the tank to me upside down - it is so striking! Anyway, he has starting “testing out” by gently nibbling at my fingers. I am not really sure what he is doing since he never actually bites me, any ideas? Just exploring?

Hadla

GPO
Registered
I live Moriarty so much! He always comes to say “hi” now by trying to pull my arm into the tank if I wiggle my fingers. and I got my first full view of his beak when he was reaching across the tank to me upside down - it is so striking! Anyway, he has starting “testing out” by gently nibbling at my fingers. I am not really sure what he is doing since he never actually bites me, any ideas? Just exploring?
Just testing your skin I think. They might also like the feeling the way some parrots do… cause my merc would do it too

sedna

Architeuthis
Staff member
Congratulations on your new friend! I find that they regularly try to pull my hands into their dens- just doesn’t work! 🤣. Beautiful animal, and I LOVE the name!

Latest Forum Posts