[Octopus]: Intro Casper - O. vulgaris

Thanks Tom. What bothers me is "I think" she is so young. I am not new to keeping octos, Casper is number 14. To my best guess she is maybe 10 months old. Vulgaris have longer life spans then 10 months. I really wonder if this happened because of the water parameters. Maybe it brought it on early. I know there is nothing I can do and yes I am very sad but I am trying to figure it out for future octo keeping so this doesn't happen again.
She has brought a lot of joy to me and others and I believe her quality of life has been very good. Its nice to see Vulgaris showing up in the hobby again. If the water quality was an issue I wont make that mistake again. The 150 will start its cycle this weekend.

LittleBit started brooding after 8 months in the tank (died at 9 tank months) and I don't think she could have been more than 3 months old when I got her (1 month as a pelagic dweller and 2 months benthic). I did notice that she appeared to have an eye infection so, again, a possibility of environmental early brooding. However, with the two O. briareus sibblings I raised from egg, the male well outlived the female and I don't know how much actual data there is on longevity by species by sex. I suspect none since they are so hard to raise with only a tiny percentage surviving.

Thanks D. Funny how the eye infection thing came up with both females. Yet Little Bit stayed small. Well at least we have seen 2 females get the 'What looks like" eye infection and broad right after. I was wondering if it was a male female thing as all my male octos lived longer. Tranny lived quite long and was close to full grown when I got him. I guess this is why its so good to journal. Gives us data for the future

I forgot about the eye infection. Journals are really helpful for both the keeper and seeing commonalities. Our numbers are small and conditions unscientific but anecdotal recordings still have value when no real data exists. They also give written historic examples when trying to make a point to minimize assumed bias.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back