[Octopus]: Intro Casper - O. vulgaris

Thanks D. Ya it was a mistake putting the dead crab in her tank. Big water change and all is well. So this vid thing I am doing is working. Tried a few different cams and found the best is an old web cam I had from 2004 LOL so I got on Amazon and ordered an HD one. Also found that the vid is much better from a high angle. Keeps the glare down from the lights. New cam will be here on the 16th but if all looks ok tomorrow I will post the link so everyone who wants can check her out. Lights are on from 11.15 to 9pm eastern time.

So I have a better cam coming tomorrow but for now here you go. Again lights are on from 11.15 to 9 pm. I have the sound turned off. Didnt think anyone needed to hear me LOL. Might be a new link after the new cam is installed.
D the last couple days I notice Casper running into the glass pretty hard. Its something new. Wonder if thats because of her size and the size of the tank?

You might try putting up something on the ends of the tank to show as wall (maybe rocks, in or outside?). I don't recall seeing this very often but I did see a very sad, hard hitting occurrence at the GA aquarium with a new young GPO. Oddly, the tank is larger than most that house the giants but this may actually be the reason for the problem because of the greater amount of swimming room. I am not sure how long it took for the animal at the aquarium to acclimate to its tank size.

I saw your post after the bewitching hour but will try to look in more timely tomorrow night.

I agree about the 125 gallon, but since Casper is so small, you could use an intermediate tank for a while. Octopuses don't need a deep tank as much as a long and wide tank to provide plenty of swimming room.

You're one of the fortunate octo keepers who discovers he/she needs a much larger tank and actually has one! Look forward to watching Casper grow!

Nancy

Thank you Nancy. Have you seen Casper in the live stream yet? She tends to come out in the early evening about 4-8 pm tends to be her most active time. I am using an old cell phone at work on a tool box so I can watch all day and don't have to use a computer or my normal cell to see her.
Moving and setting up the 8' 300g tank has been something I have been dreading for a couple years just because its such a heavy tank. Its an old tank and all glass which is at least 3/4" thick on all panels. I estimate it weights 500-600 empty. I am not a young man anymore and my friends are not so young so finding 6-8 guys to help me move it is my reason for this tank not being up and running already. I have thought about hiring a moving crew to do it. If I could get a moving company to do it for 300$ or less I would be happy to pay. 300$ is much less then a permanent back issue for me or my friends. I also thought about using a engine hoist to lift it and get it on a stand. Maybe on Monday I will start calling moving companies.
Its funny to say a 125 is ok because she is in a 93g tank now but I understand to 6' side to side is the important part. I have been in the hobby a long time and am a bit of a hoarder when it comes to equipment so I have a 10x10 storage full of aquarium stuff with about 10 tanks and plenty of stuff to run them all. Then 5 running systems in my house now. I think there is something wrong with me. Gluten for punishment I guess LOL

ATM, ~4:30 PM I am not sure if I am looking at her eye or an "octopus rock" in the center of the video :wink:. At 8:45, I can confirm the octo eye and see a bit of movement.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back