[Octopus]: Intro Casper - O. vulgaris

So i moved Casper into the 93 cube sat. Most likely not his forever home but much better then the small tank he was in. He seems very happy and has found a place to sit and watch us. So I put a magfloat in the tank. Small one about 1'x2' and started cleaning the glass. Well this got Casper so excited he flew across the tank, grabbed the magfloat and took it back in the rocks. I let him have it for about an hour then put a 2' live blue crab in the tank and Casper gave up the float quick to hunt the crab. I really wish I would have gotten him on vid going after the float. It was amazing and funny at the same time. From now on any time I am doing anything in the tank there will be a camera on.

20161122_193717[1].jpg

So I ended up putting him in the 93g cube. Don't know if this will be forever home. Also I know there is not much rock in the tank. The sump is full and it also has a 4"x4"x8" marine-pure stone in the sump. He is so happy and personal. He is always out when I am home and sits on the top of the rock like the first pic. If I come up to the tank and stay for a min he will come to me. Funny thing is there is a live bait shrimp that he has decided to let live. Its been in there for 3 days. I think his fav food is blue crabs. He goes crazy for them. Shrimp on the other hand is ok if I have cleaned them for him. When I feed frozen I peal them so there is less waist. He is happy to take those but not so keen on live ones. Kind of strange but who knows.

Ok this was something new. So just like the other night Casper loves the magfloat. So in this vid I had the GF vid it. He started wiggling kind of like a cat ready to pounce. You can see it in the vid. Then all the sudden he was done. It was very cute/strange to see him wiggle. Almost wonder if it was him stressing out. This all happened 15 mins ago and now he is back sitting on top of his normal rock so if it stressed him out it sure didnt take long to get over it.

So Casper is spoiled. He really does not care for live shrimp. Last night he was bouncing all around and playing with the the magfloat. He lets it go and it floats to the top so she hunts it down. So I put a live shrimp in the tank. HE watched it and changed colors a few times but let it be. couple hours later I looked and found the shrimp and Casper was playing with the magfloat. If I would have put a crab in there he would have gone right after it.

Where some octos are picky eaters, in my very limited experience, O. vulgaris will eat (or try to) any and everything alive (urchins and starfish excepted) placed in the tank. However, live shrimp have been eaten by all of the medium sized animals I have kep even if the shrimp were left alone for a few days. I have never put a large shrimp in with the merc though and they tend to ignore live shore shrimp after they become adults.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back