Interesting Documentary

Hayek

GPO
Registered
I've been scouring the web for octopus related documentaries. Today I found this national geographic documentary about octopuses and how they manage to predict when an active volcano erupts.

Octopus documentary 47 min

(I realize I may have posted this in the wrong forum. If there is a more appropriate place, please move the thread.)

Hi Hayek,

I have seen the documentary and looks just amazing.
I like that big Octopus. Just too beautiful.
I really loved the way it moves.

Thanks for sharing such an amazing videos.

Nice to see this one on the net. It is one of, if not the best video about the life cycle and attributes of an octopus. They depict on film the full life cycle of Octopus moorum, Maori Octopus - giant octo of New Zealand, second in size to the Western Hemisphere GPO - and the filming and voice over documentary are wonderful. Take the full hour to watch!

We have two big species! Octopus maorum and Pinnoctopus cordiformis the latter used to be classified as O. maorum until Steve O had a look at the taxonomy and reclassified it. Octopus Garden is about P. cordiformis. It was filmed before the name change. Natural History NZ produced it and they are world leaders in natural history documentary production check out their website NHNZ Worldwide | TV Production

They also work with the University to teach a degree in Science communication majoring in film making.

J

Thanks for the link Jean. I bought the video (both formats are available) last time you posted it but could not find the old post to reference where to buy it. Thanks also for clearing up the name as I have been confused a couple of times seeing the cordiformis reference and did not know there were two big guys out your way. Up until now I thought it was just a rename.

I think some authors consider O. maorum, Macroctopus maorum and P. cordiformis to be synonyms, but I'm sure I read in Steve's monograph that they were in fact different species

O'Shea, S. 1999. The Marine Fauna of New Zealand: Octopoda (Mollusca: Cephalopoda). NIWA Biodiversity Memoir 112: 280pp.

Steve.......shout out if I'm wrong!

Hayek;143356 said:
I believe the above post, from a user with one post and a sig link about lice, is forum spam. An administrator should remove it.

Done. Just as a note, you can use the "report post" button to notify the moderators that a message is spam, too. Thanks for letting us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back