• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Instant Ocean

Kirkwood

Hatchling
Registered
hey everyone,
I've been searching the forum but haven't been able to find an answer to my question and my cephs arrive in less than 3 hours!

I'm building a temporary holding tank to store them, its a temperature controlled container filled with saltwater with air bubbling through the water. Circulation is achieved via the air.

I just made up my saltwater using Instant Ocean, turned on the air, and the water turned brown after a few hours.
Am I missing something here?

I realize that I'm missing many vital items for a true aquarium, but this is just a short holding tank and I'm just trying to make the saltwater.

Thanks!

:welcome:

well as for the water turning brown I have no idea. But I do have some concerns.What kind of cephs are they? How long will they be in the temp setup? Why put them in the temporary setup? Do you have a tank that is cycled or cycling? Usually it takes a while for a system to be ready for a ceph or any marine life. Usually the minimum recomened cycle time is two month. Sorry for asking so many questions i just want to make sure we can help you out as best as we can.

What was your source of water? perhaps there is something in your water that contributed to a chemical reaction with the instant ocean. Thats what I use and I've never had any issue with it. But like he said above, that tank should be pretty temporary, I've never seen an article for marine aquariums that didnt demand at least 1 month of cycling before livestock[good livestock anyway] was added.

also correct me if im wrong but arn't air bubbles lethal to octos and cuttles cus the bubbles get stuck to their mantle or something?

Thanks for the help!
Realized after I posted this that we'd accidentally put a piece of metal in there that rusted!! doh..
we thought it was stainless steel, guess not.
Drained the water, put fresh DI water, added Instant ocean and it worked.

Thank you for responding so quick\

Metal in fish tanks is typically a very bad idea - and particularly in ceph and elasmobranch tanks.

And there's really no such thing as stainless steel - it's more super stain resistant steel. It will inevitably rust.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back