Inkler - O'Briareus

Yes...I am very lucky in that I am minutes from the shore. Here is a pic of the crowd living right outside Inklers door. She must have had a spat with the Serpent Star because as of tonight, he was outside her den.

She was out tonight. Was hunting. I realized she's much tinier than I realized as her mantle is about the size of a grape. She took a crab from me immediately but was reaching for the camera for the first time!!! I'm so excited!

We're enjoying your reports and photos. Glad you were able to get such a young octopus -t hat's not so easy these days.

Your octopuses have always enjoyed a wonderful diet of your freshly caught food.

Nancy

No Flash....This is the first time she did not run when I put the camera up to her. I just bought a new canon elf 12mp and it has all this new technology where it focuses very nicely in dimly lit areas plus I auto enhanced some in elements. I do not want her to be afraid of the camera so I'd rather not use the flash. She seems to be getting used to the red auto focus which is good. And isn't she the cutest little thing? I really had forgotten just how tiny she is...

My Canon (G9 - that I love) has a green focusing target light and the octos see it so the red seems to be a better idea. Since I got it back from repair, it does not seem to focus quite as well with dimmer light but stillis way better than th Minolta.

Aww, Inkler is cute as a button! I am excited for you, I have never seen Ollie out with the lights on. When I try to put my hands on the galss, he gets spooked and goes back into the rocks. I am enjoying your journal as well. :biggrin2:

I had the first contact with Inkler tonight. I knew she was hungry as she's been eating a crab every 2 days. I held it in front of her barnacle and this time when she grabbed it I decided not to let go. What resulted was my first touch with her. She had the crab but did not want to release my hand. And I had the camera ready....She's so awesome and when you give them the time to get used to their new home and allow them to proceed at their own speed, the curiosity beats out their fear and the trust starts to develop between you and them...All her little legs are growing back very nicely as you can see from these pics!

I have always kept my light on the tank always on so this is the light that you see for all the pics. She comes out when she thinks noone is watching. Getting very curious especially after our last encounter. Note the "eye" which came to the door when I tapped on the tank tonight!

And on another note....she absolutely associates the hand with food as I just got done with a 5 minute struggle of her grabbing my fingers and the feeder shrimp but then she continued to try to take my fingers into her den with her. When she realized they were not coming, she came out and sat there with her arms wrapped around my fingers....When I offered her another shrimp only the eye emerged but she did not come out or attempt to grab me this time...

She was out tonight. Explored the whole back of the 70 gallon. But got shy when she realized I had spotted her. Her regrowth is over an inch now on all legs.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back