Inkler - O'Briareus

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Good news! Inkler has discovered her world. This morning she was on the opposite side of the tank looking like the red lava rock she was in. My son spotted her before I did. Her tips of her arms are growing back very nicely. Hopefully more pics later. I do not use the flash as it took her 3 weeks to emerge from her den and I do not want to startle her.

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
New game in the household is find the octopus. Since the last sighting we have not been able to pinpoint location. Many, many inspections with tiny flashlight trying to figure out the new vantage point. After a good 24 hours of false sightings, I found her!!! I can't say where cause if Jess checks in this will be a giveaway.......And wait till my son gets up......:mrgreen: He tricked me about 10 times that he had found her!!!!!

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
I went collecting yesterday. I have found that all types of octopuses over the years, love the mud flat snails. I only found one. I'm thinking in the winter they must go under. Inkler is back in her usual cave.She took a fiddler this morning. She had no interest in the mussel but held it at her door for an hour before releasing it. She's very curious when I wave anything by her door. The strength she has is amazing. So far it seems fiddlers are her choice of food. She investigates anything I offer her, so I want to start offering non food items to see what she does. So far, so good. I see she is observing us more and more and the tapping on the glass is really becoming a signal to her I am there.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Have you ever tried barnacles? It would seem they would be an easy snack but I have never hear them mentioned as food. I have no idea how well they would ship live but the small ones are plentiful most anywhere.

I suspect the large purple ones don't ship well as they would be an interesting aquarium animal and they are not to be found (they are not a FL creature but I have seen them being eaten in SA somewhere on TV, Chile perhaps).

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Not sure on barnacles. I know some of the local ones often attach themselves to mussels and I have collected some but none of the octopuses I have experienced over the years have shown any interest whatsoever. Interesting observation, the new serpent starfish is now cohabitating with Inkler in her den just like the other I had for over 10 years!

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Yes...I am very lucky in that I am minutes from the shore. Here is a pic of the crowd living right outside Inklers door. She must have had a spat with the Serpent Star because as of tonight, he was outside her den.

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
She was out tonight. Was hunting. I realized she's much tinier than I realized as her mantle is about the size of a grape. She took a crab from me immediately but was reaching for the camera for the first time!!! I'm so excited!

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
We're enjoying your reports and photos. Glad you were able to get such a young octopus -t hat's not so easy these days.

Your octopuses have always enjoyed a wonderful diet of your freshly caught food.

Nancy

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
What a tiny cutie! Did you use a flash? I noticed that her eyes are wide open and I never see that with mine in daylight.

Latest Posts