• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

injured octopus

Humbuds707

Hatchling
Registered
Somehow my 8 mo old mimic got the netting off of the powerhead and was in to his eyeballs when i found him. I got the powerhead apart and carefully unwound each of the three legs that were sucked in from the impeller. They look pretty mangled. Its been 3 days now and hes still alive. I can see the pain in his eyes. Ive taken everything that can stress him out or harm him from the tank..is there anything else i can do..ie..water temp..any additives..what can i do to help him heal?

I've moved this thread to the Exotics forum, as this is regarding a mimic.

I'm not sure what can be done here as I'm not expert, but @robyn has studied pain in cephalopods, and perhaps someone from [USERGROUP=4]@Staff[/USERGROUP] can help.

I'm sorry this has happened - please do keep us posted... best of luck.

So sorry....the best I know u can do is try to keep the stressors down. Was it only his legs? I remember one of mine had partial amputation to his legs. He eventually regenerated the tips. Keeping fingers crossed.

How is your octopus? May want to consider removing the arms rather than leaving them injured to try and prevent infection. This seems a bit aggressive but if they are mangled and starting to die off it might prove to be better for the octopus. They will regenerate arms but not sure what the result will be if you just leave them attached and mangled. Does it have control over these arms still or are they limp?

Yes please do keep us all informed. It has left me saddened in that, I was, by your information informed as to the parlous state of your Octopus. I realised you were probably incapacitated by grief. For this reason I did not seek to infringe upon your situation. I have a deep and abiding love of Cephalopoda. I recently lost a very beloved creature one Budgerigar. His name was "Crusher". I know how it is to befriend a creature from a different phylum and have that creature lost a friend and companion. "Crusher" was constantly on my shoulder.

I have been SCUBA around the local marine environment. I visit them all regularly. They are like my companions. I have observed them set up their homes. It is almost like these creatures are family to me.

To observe a marine environment is to see an eco-system of extreme brutality. It is constant predation.

For sure I could be accused of Anthropomorphism !! I simply do not care. If I love an octopus then I dont care. What are we humans supposed to be ashamed of Cephalopodoomorphism? Well if that is the case count me as guilty!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back