• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Info on keeping squid in captivity

I wasn't sure where to post this so I apologize in advance if there's already info on this in the forums.

I'm looking for info on how to keep wild-caught squid alive in captivity for ~3 weeks. I'm planning on catching adult Lolliguncula brevis and Doryteuthis pealei. I know that Hanlon et al. published good info on this in 1983 from their cephalopods at UTMB, but I don't know of any other advancements since then. Does anyone have good advice/resources on how to keep squid alive?

It can be quite difficult to keep squid incaptivity. 1st you need round /cylindrical tanks, square are killers. MEGA amounts of live feed (marine) not sure anyone has weaned squid onto frozen. Very large tanks, several times the size you would use for similar sized fish, be prepared for cannibalism! and above all GOOD LUCK!

We have been successful in keeping Loligo forbesi for about 6-8 weeks. Round tanks are a must as mentioned by Jean and what we found to be useful was a small light to provide some soft lighting at night and this reduced the amount of butt burn compared to when they are kept in the dark. Feedingwise, live shrimp or small baitfish worked well and depending on the depth of your tank, dead whole baitfish will work as they slowly drift towards the bottom the squid will grab them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back