• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Infected arms

Thanks for posting that Dan, I think a lot of us have been worried that things are moving too fast, and while I understand and sympathize with
Tako Poke's predicament, I was about to suggest that the octo be returned to the same area of the ocean it was captured in. There are lots of neat sea creatures out there that are probably not as difficult as cephs, and since the ocean is right around the corner, so to speak, fresh sea water changes wouldn't be such a big deal.

Very well written, Dan.

I do think it's also important to acknowledge Tako for trying to do the best s/he can within his resources, though, as well. Frankly, although s/he may have jumped in unwisely, s/he is here asking us to help in any way that we can. Maybe we can help him/her track down a used skimmer that's cheap...

(aside: as much as I think the sites that have a little male/female icon are sort of annoying, it's also weird to try to refer to posters whose name don't suggest a gender without risking offending by guessing wrong... is there any good solution to this? Maybe I'll post a poll in off-topic discussion or something...)

I got the skimmer I mentioned at an LFS. It was actually our first visit to the store and we've since become very close with them. We left with the skimmer (Turboflotor 1000) for $5, a custom hood with two compact flourescent bulbs ($25) and a 29 gallon tank that's now my sump for the big tank ($10).

Go into all the good LFS--smaller, privately owned stores, not Petco type places. Just ask the guy at the counter if they ever sell used equipment there. Another good place is the classified boards on Reefcentral. Things go fast there, within minutes, so don't bother searching unless you can snap it up that day.

The big problem with used equipment is you don't have much time to do research. I didn't even know what a needle-wheel skimmer was when I bought the TF1000, but for $5 I got lucky with it. So it helps to do some research reading old threads here and at RC and places like reefs.org to find out what equipment is good and what isn't. That way you can make fast decisions to get the good deals and not the lemons!

Dan

Wow. That is alot of posts. Sorry about not saying this earlier but I am a male. And your probably right Dan, I am ill equiped and rushing into things but just like you it takes me a long time to find octos as well. Its been a year since ive seen one in the wild. Spear fishers dont really spare much, and when I caught it there were some on the beach about 20 feet away from me. I think I may have saved its skin there. I also took your advice and went looking for skimmers today after school. I did manage to find a fairly nice one for 25 dollars at the local pet shop. With some hours of hard laboring im sure Ill be able to raise enough to get it. Im also about to do a water change.

How big is your tank, Tako? And do you have a sump?

And I was also thinking, could you find pretty shells that you could collect legally? We have a TONMO.com marketplace now. Maybe you could sell something like that - a packet of shells for an octo tank.

Nancy

Hey! That's great on the skimmer! How does he look now? Did he get over the inking? Do you have lots of places for him to hide in the tank? I had an octopus that was very skittish. You could make a sudden movement and he would blacken the tank with ink. One quick fix is the good old pantyhose net. Think there's a thread on here somewhere's . Good luck with him! I'm glad to see you are so willing to listen to everyones experience! Obviously you want what's best for your new octopus and that's a beautiful thing! :smile:

Well they say I picture is worth a thousand words. So heres 3. :biggrin2:
I think I have enough rocks for him to hide in. Of course they arent stacked like in a reef but he actually managed to make to caves from whats there. And as you can see Im pretty sure he hates my guts. Hes all red all the time. He hasnt inked since last time, but then again I havnt really gotten that close. I can see he also ate the crab I was trying to feed him. Thats good I guess. Im gonna look up that pantyhose thread now lol.
-Thanks, Nick

Attachments

• conv_289321.jpg
    conv_289321.jpg
    690.5 KB · Views: 71
  • conv_289322.jpg
    conv_289322.jpg
    674.6 KB · Views: 75
  • conv_289323.jpg
    conv_289323.jpg
    866.6 KB · Views: 74
I dont think so. Im almost certein its a O. Cyanea. However there is somthing weird about it that I havnt read about other day octos before. It has spots just like bimacs but they are brown and only apear when it is light colored. I havnt been able to take any pics of them though because it keeps hiding whenever I get near it.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back