• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Infected arms

PS: I could probably hook you up with one for the right price... :wink:
Which would probably be extremely low. I just have to figure out how this fed ex thing works...

The permit is for taking a marine creature out of the wild, regardless of whether you ship it. The regulations are more strict for shipping into Hawaii (so you don't introduce a foreign species) than for shipping out of Hawaii.

I'm not sure how easy it is to get a permit...

My dad has a permit so hes going to take me to get one too this week. Aparently I need two. One for commercial fishing and one for aquarium fishing. I also looked on the website and I was suprised to find that the only restrictions on octopus fishing was that they must be one pound. There isnt even a closed season!

HI Tako,

Don't worry too much about not having your rocks arranged in a reef, you'd just get it looking all reef like and the octopus would rearrange it anyway!!! We keep loose rocks on the floor of our tanks for octopus redecorating purposes!

As for telling male from female octis? in most species the maturing and mature males have a modified arm (or arms!) it's usually club or spade shaped and is called the hectocotylus.

Cheers

Jean

One pound is a fairly large octopus! If you catch one live, however, you'd have trouble weighing it. So maybe you could get a smaller one, if you take just one.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back