• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Inducing S. bandensis hatch

morgandy

Hatchling
Registered
Hi all,

couple of questions; we aquired 13 eggs on Weds night...by the time we got home, 2 had hatched, which we assume may be a stresss reaction, but not sure. The two have been fine, but we need to know if the hatching takes time of days or weeks for all the eggs.

And, is it possible to induce hatching (like with shark eggs), by doing a small slit? We do not want to do this on more than 1 egg, we do see them in the cases, but paid a fortune for these, so wondering if that is an option of last resort if they these don't seem to start hatching. If so, does anyone know exactly the procedure? I have searched high and low on the net with nothing found.

Also, we found Cannot connect to MySQL server for crabs when they're old enough, are there any others you can recommend?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Amy

I wouldn't induce hatching. Premature hatching usually results in dead cuttles. If the cuttles in the eggs have a yolk sac under the front of their face they aren't ready to hatch. If there is no yolk it could still take a week or two for them to hatch.

Hatch rates have been variable, but stress, like shipping, sometimes seems to induce early hatching which results in either the cuttles being just fine, or not. No known reason yet. Even if the eggs were all laid at the same time, hatch rates are variable.

I would relax and let them hatch on their own.

lance;134352 said:
What is the mortality rate of baby bandensis after hatch?

thanks,

lance

bump. I've had quite a few die on me but none for the first 3 weeks.

Now I'm left with less then half of what I started with but the ones who are alive and getting big fast.

lance;134352 said:
What is the mortality rate of baby bandensis after hatch?

thanks,

lance

Thats a tuff one. There are no studies, and there are reports of different mortalities from different people. At the same time, the question really is what causes the mortality. Often, people who report large post hatching mortality seem to not be feeding suitable food, enough food, or feeding often enough.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back