• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

in search of a cuttle

i tried to email Richard Strider again and again i got it returned undeliverable :? i would appreciate it if you could make that call for me, at least to find out how difficult and costly it would be for me to aquire a cuttle or even some eggs
in would be indebt to you :notworth:

(figured it would be a great time to use this little smiley guy)

did you ever manage to get ahold of him?
although i got another octo i do have a 20g tank which would be great for hatching eggs, its already full of little copepods for the babies to eat

It will be fine for now but do you have any plans when it grows too big? Maybe you cold release it into the sea but that might cause problems with the eco-system.

im actually considering getting another 55g tank that would probably be their new home

no, i tried him once and no answer, will follow up another time... but for a cuttle tank you'll need to multiply that gallonage by about 4!

aim for at least 200 for sepia officinalis...

too late tonight to phone, i'll try to remember tomorrow :smile:

well, i guess ill let my wife read these and then maybe ill get a 200g tank :biggrin2:

i dont think shes gonna like the idea :x

WhiteKiboko said:
no joel, it seems yet another supplier has the elusive cAttlefish.... so sorry.... :roll:

also, why list a blue ring if you're not going to sell it?

:thumbsdo:

Kinda late on this but its good they put this:

Warning It has extremely toxic which can inflict a bite fatal to humans, never touch this animal bare hand.

That is a bad site though.

tank size

I keep hearing 200 gallons for theses but , is it the length of the tasnk that is the issue ? I mean a 125 @ 72'' long is still to small? How long are 200?

Re: tank size

johnism said:
I keep hearing 200 gallons for theses but , is it the length of the tasnk that is the issue ? I mean a 125 @ 72'' long is still to small? How long are 200?

good point and something that has bugged me for a long time, since i first started going online actually, (nancy will back me up on that LOL) but I have seemed to have slipped into the habit myself :frown:

In the UK tanks are sold on their out dimensions (inches) and in the USA sold by their gallonge.. I have fallen under the gals because noone in the US knew what i was talking about...

So, to clarify 200 gals would be best made up by using a 72x24x24 inch tank which is 6 foot by 2 by 2 and holds approx 180 gals when fill. Then add a 20 gal or so sump to house skimmer etc. Therefor that is my recomendation for cuttles.

I figured the long style would be the way to go compared to a breeder style ( so they can jet ). Now this might be silly question but are there dwarf species that do not get as large ( or is the species that has been mentioned on this post the dwarf or the dwarfs are not as hardy/difficult to find)?

The dwarf species are Sepia bandenss, they grow to about 5cm Ml and are not too difficult to keep, however, obtaining a healthy one is gonna be hard unless you're in south east asia :smile:

Hey guys. I got my S. bandensis from the LFS. He won't tell me the suppplier he is getting them from, and I don't want to sneak around his back, possibly ruining our relationship till he can get me a couple more for breeding. There have been two occasions where they were supposed to show up, but didn't. Apparently the wholesaler calls them squid.

Hopefully, I will be able to breed them and we can take over the world.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back