• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

in flow and out flow PLEASE help :-)

natalie1404

Blue Ring
Registered
i have my octopus tank all set up glass lid made to fit perfect size suckers to lift it off completely sealed apart from the obvious out take and intake how are you all octo proofing these im reading sponge block for out take (does this not stop crap exiting tank) and sprinkler bar with small holes for flow back in (how are you attaching to in take pipe) could people please post pics of there in\out take pipe work so i can see how you have yours set up this would be a great help and greatfully appriciated thanks :smile:

also my tank is 200ltrs 4ft dont know what that is in gallons what octopus would be suitable for this size tank i like the look of iris with her being abit bigger sized but is she to big for my tank thanks

Natalie,
To get suggestions, it would be helpful to post a few pictures of your tank. Our new software will let you select multiples from a computer directory (hold down the control key and click on the photos you want to select) and the drag them to the area where you are entering your text. It sounds like you do not have (and will likely want to add) an overflow box around your exit point but photos will clarify that thought.

Please consider editing your profile and adding something helpful to the location. I try to remember to recommend this when people introduce themselves but sometimes I forget :old:. Some areas of the world tend to use different initial configurations so it helps to have an idea of the starting point. Knowing your location will also help with animal suggestions.

In this forum (Tank Talk) there is a sticky titled Tank Buildouts that contains links to some of the designs members have constructed that may give you some ideas. Your tank should be roughly 50 US gallons.

Looking at the tanks in tank buildouts I dont have a overfow box around the exit point (the boxes that weirs have been cut into on one of tanks im guessing) I also only have 1 overflow is that enough for a 50gal tank will upload some pics when get home and will also add location thanks

I'd love to help but pictures help us to help you.

Coarse sponges are great and can be cut to fit if needed on inlets and outlets.I use various large coarse sponges on mine cut to fit and take mine out on a daily basis to rinse and replace them. I have a RSM 130 with a built in sump in the rear of my tank and use Coarse sponges and carbon filled bags for my filtration. (during my water changes I also use Pillow floss in mesh bags to help clean up the debris I stir up from the main section faster. I have kind of an obsession for clean clear water. Drives my husband nuts!)

Here are some photos if it helps.

This is a top view of the sump with the white one removed. I use a secondary black one to help catch excess debris when I take out the first white one to clean it. (I wish I could DIY a filter sock contraption for my first compartment and not worry about the vent as much but I'm not good at DIY)

I rinse mine out at least once a day and catch shrimp and fiddler pieces with my net that she doesn't consume. I haven't had any filtration or water problems yet except the skimmer I originally had in this was replaced with the factory one that produced a lot better skimmate.

I hope this helps and if not give us some pictures and we can do our best to help advise and push you in the right direction.

I suspected you did not have any form of weir and would suggest building/buying something to work in a similar manor. Netting or screening directly over the outlet is, as you suspect, a very bad idea. Not covering it in some way is not even safe for fish, let alone curious octopuses. We have converted most of our tanks from their original freshwater design to a saltwater setup with sump and have had to add the overflow box to all of them (some of ours are "prettier" than others :roll:). Assuming your tank is drilled and does not have an over the top siphon, the easiest, best looking and most uniform but most expensive is to buy a premade three sided box (a narrower one here) and silicone it to the tank. It does not have to be very tall (ie, there is no need for it to go to the bottom of the tank) and it does not have to be watertight.

I found some more reasonably priced units at Marine Depot (assuming you are in the US :wink:). There should be something similar in the UK if my guess is correct. Search "aquarium weir" and "overflow surface skimmer" for the best results. Searching aquarium overflow box will produce a few but most will be external boxes for a siphon arrangement.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back