[Image] The Largest Ammonite In the World

Ok, I was derailing (along with Kevin/Architeuthoceras) Hajar's great live cuttlefish thread, so I thought I would resurrect this thread... So how big do you think Parapuzosia eggs would have been?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I would think we would need to concentrate no how SMALL an adult might be to locate one so Kevin will have to start an aquarium :biggrin2:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Well, I guess it would be in good stead with the ecology if you grew them out as shelters for the homeless.

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
cuttlegirl;166129 said:
So how big do you think Parapuzosia eggs would have been?
I am quite sure that all ammonoid eggs were less than 2mm dia., and most were less than 1mm. It is usually accepted that the eggs hatched just after the primary constriction was formed, usually found close to the protoconch, so the newly hatched ammonoids would be just slightly larger than that. This Thread on Protoconchs, discusses a lot of the ideas on egg size. How big of an aquarium would you need to house a 1 meter gelatinous ammonoid egg mass? :smile:

dwhatley;166130 said:
I would think we would need to concentrate no how SMALL an adult might be to locate one so Kevin will have to start an aquarium :biggrin2:
If you could find a few of these Pteroscaphites, maybe all I would need is one of those small Nano(?)reef tanks. :sly: