• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Im having some problems

If you add damsels to cycle your tank, you'll have to get rid of them before you get an octopus. Mollies are much less aggressive.

Nancy

There are a lot of reasons why the molly could have died, did you not say that one jumped out? Perhaps that injured it?

The one that is left is hiding because it feels scared and insecure because there are no other fish about...

I think you should forget the damsels idea and stick with mollies, they are a fraction of the price and wont be so troublesome to get out of the tank and certainly a damsel will attack an octopus.

Dont disturb the tank looking for the molly, even if it's dead now it is just going to feed the filter

how are the water parameters now?

ok il stick with the mollies. Its just that im a little reluctant because i have to like make them marine. Before when i was adding my tank water the moment i started pouring the water the fishes started like freaking out, they started swimming rapidly and were hitting the wall (thats when the fish jumped out).
On the fishsupply.com link it shows how to acclimate a fish should i use this method with the mollies?

Anyways, i just tested my water and these are the results
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-

i mean that the decaying flesh from the molly will rot more and this will give something for the bateria that 'feed' on ammonia to get their 'teeth' into.

Some people mature a tank without fish and add quantities of ammonia, some people do that by peeing in the tank!!!! :mrgreen: i DON'T recommend that!!! LOL So anyway, its the dirt from the mollies that is starting to mature your filter, one dead molly in a tank that big will only help things... so i'd get some more

acclimatising any fish takes time, next time maybe change the water in the mollies more slowly

never add the water in a LFS bag into your tank! It can have all sorts of nasties in it!

Cheers
Colin

Hi carol

yeah totally serious! it has came up on several forums that i visit with SW fish... and have also heard rumoured that someone nearby did it!

basicly it's very similar to someone doing a fishlesscycle where they add amounts of ammonia over a period of a few days... I have never done a fishless cycle but there is a lot of info out there about it...

http://kimsfish.net/fishless.html that's a wee bit about it that covers the basics...

RTII they dont have to be black, any flavour of molly will do, they are all the same species with different colours... maybe get 6 or so

ok il get six mollies today. Haha well... its 12:12A.M right now so technically they will be today.
Once i add these fish in will my other mollie start to show itself?
How much water should i add in every ten minuets???

This should make the 1st molly feel better and prolly swim with them...

id put them in a bucket or bowl with their original bag water and add 1/8 pint every 10 mins or so.. that will work
remember to cover the bowl!!! :P

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back