• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I'm Confused on Tank Sizes!

Mr. Krabs

Blue Ring
Registered
I emailed octopets, and asked them about cuttles. I have a 125 gallon reef tank with a single fish in it...but it's crawling with bristle worms (need more help than traps...any fish that eat these?). He e-mailed me back and said that I could keep 2 common cuttles in the tank. I have an over-spec filtration unit that pumps 1200 gallons an hour, and the filters are rated for over 180gallons. I have a UV sterilizer, and two 175watt metal halide lights for the corals. Also, I have two maxima clams...will the cuttles eat these? Though my brother thinks my octo is AWESOME, he doen't want a cuttle in the aquarium downstairs :frown: ...oh well, maybe the tank is too small even for ONE cuttle, let alone two. That's where I have the question. You earlier mentioned that cuttles should have a 200gallon aquarium...for one. Octopets says that two can be kept in a 125. Humph. So confusing!!! :?

It depends on what type of cuttlefish you get. I will tell you right now that a adult S. officinalis can grow almost a foot and a half. Some of the smaller species you could probably keep in your tank. Also cuttlefish usually do not go after sessile organisms.

Because officinalis gets so big i think that to be fair they really need as big a tank as possible and I STILL suggest a 200 US gals tank minimum.

I have kept them from 12mm in length to adult size and beleive me, even one adult male in a 200 is pushing it sometimes if they ink!!!

they can have the potential of 18 Inches and produce 3 times the ammonia of a fish of a similar mass and are much more sensitive to water pollutants as they have no scales and HUGE surface area of skin.

I am not convinced the species should be on general sale

Kind of on the side of caution also here...had planned to get some, then talked to Breese, who bred them before, and was convinced to just set up another octo tank...maybe they should just be for public aquaria...?

yeah but it would be such a shame for the people who are set up to look after them properly - the problem is the impulse buyer who isnt properly set up!! as opposed to cuttle enthusiasts who have done at least a year or twos research before attemping even a smaller variety-

perhaps the problem would not be so pronounced if the vendors stop kiddng themselves about tank size and be a bit more responsible - i emailed them on the topic not really expecting a reply - and guess what no reply

Also has an attempt been made to breed a smaller (even tropical so no chiller is required) variety - many australian varietys are around the 10-20cm ml mark and can live in warmer water happily living for a year to a year and a half!

i am surprised about this case because they are good sites with good info and usually adequate warnings and condition info

Its still a new part of the hobby Oscar, and not always taken very seriously, i have lost count of the number of times there has been much hilarity in shops when i start talking octopuses etc. So, i dont think that the cephalopods are treated as much more than an oddball and therefore not given too much more consideration by the seller.

AND when was the last time you seen a shop either online or your LFS, with signs on all their fish saying how big they can really get?

Do other people's local shops still sell Pangassius, Arrowanna, Gymnothorax, Chiloscyllium, Ginglymostoma and so on? All of these can be giants, way bigger than cuttles.

Anyway, someone who is dead keen and properly set up will be able to source just about anything they want so i dont think true enthusiasts will suffer. Both Myself and Greg will be able to testify that point with herptiles too.

Colin Wrote:
Its still a new part of the hobby Oscar, and not always taken very seriously, i have lost count of the number of times there has been much hilarity in shops when i start talking octopuses etc. So, i dont think that the cephalopods are treated as much more than an oddball and therefore not given too much more consideration by the seller.

Yep, im totally with you on that mate, dunno why people look down on them but dont upon people who want reefs. well i do, reefs etc are more money earners and people are small minded enough to not consider that people like different things. Time is money!!

Both Myself and Greg will be able to testify that point with herptiles too.
Sounds like you too have been with the wrong sorta women to me!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

haha

anyway yeah i know what you mean collin - they just want to get them through quick i spose! still...

i also know just what you mean about them being oddballs!! Everytime a lfs guy asks what i have in the tank and i mention that it is for a cuttle they laugh, scoff, or tell me its impossible or stupid!!! (not great for sales!! :? ) without knowing about it themselves!!!!!
ill have to send them some pictures when i have set up!! lol :heee:

btw what are herptiles?

Plenty of arowana here, I even see 10cm sturgeons occasionally, i was tempted to get one once out of impulse, then remembered the size these guys could attain.

Octos are still relatively easy to find here and its not uncommon to see 10 in one suppliers shop. Not as much cuttles now though, but more stained ceilings.

200+gal is still best :smile:

10 octos!!! wow i wish!!!

:mrgreen:

i get maybe 5 a year and there are no guarantees - anything from blue ringed (kept in a very small and open topped!!! container) didnt last long and neither did the fish in surrounding tanks but i was more worried about little kids sticking their hands in!!!

oh rite - i never knew you kept reptiles and amphibians!!! - any salamanders??? or newts or mudpuppies or anything? - personally i would go for a chamealeon - but then again why wouldnt i go for the pet most difficult to get and keep!!! lol

The octos were all kept in one tank in floating plastic containers with small holes to allow water to circulate. Larger ones like cyanea are kept in pet homes and put in another tank.

I've got a veiled cham right now, they're definately easier than wild caught seahorses. I've got a phobia of amphibians and the only one i would dare touch would be poison arrows (if the opportunity arises).

Funny you should mention it
Oscar... i post pics of them all the time in the supporters gallery LOL

I have...

Triturus marmoratus, 5
T. pygmeus, 2
T. alpestris alpestris, 4
T. a. apuanus, 3
T. cristatus (CB) 12
T. carnifex 6
T. vittatus 4
Salamandra salamandra gallaica, 2
Notophthalmus viridescens, 3
Pleurodeles waltl, 4
Pachytriton labiatus, 5
Ambystoma mexicanum, 4
Ambystoma mavortium, 4
Tylototriton verrucosus, 10
Paramesotriton caudopunctatus 4
p. hongkongensis 4

Thats just the Caudates :smile:

wow those are seriously cool! i did quick google searches on them all and i am impressed - i think ill stick with cephs though for now!!! lol

i particularly liked the alpine newt!! any favourites?

you must have a small cricket/insect farm going there!!! what do you feed them??? there are just so many!! i was glad to see a few in there i recognised so that i didnt feel like a complete idiot but we dont get anything like that in australia cept maybe in some specialty pet stores but even then...

how many tanks??? i assume that what you keep them in

once again - very cool! they were mostly terrestrial or amphibious? werent they? cept axolotls an that - do you go through the larval stage with the salamanders???

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back