If I make a squid, which one should it be??

Dot Dot Dot

That's actually very similar technique that I use on my paintings (The one's featured in the gallery). With the exception that it's done on a computer, it's the same- dot..dot...dot...dot...dot...try not to think about carpel tunnel...dot...dot...dot...this takes forever...dot...dot...dot...I'm hungry for some calimari...dot...dot...dot...
It's a nice effect since it layers the colors on so fine it gives the impression of light passing/reflecting through the skin like it would with real flesh. Just wish it wouldn't take so long!!
-chris

Squidman said:
I wish I could dissect a squid, giant or otherwise.

It's pretty cheap and easy to get preserve specimens intended for biology classes and the like. Googling for "biological specimin supplies squid" got me this, which seems reasonable, but I don't know this company in particular (but their prices seem great-- about $20 for a squid, a kit, and instructions)... A guy I worked with got a squid and an octopus in his "collection of things to image with an MRI microscope," and I did a little imaging but didn't get enough time on the machine to do much.

Squid Specimen, 8"-12", Plain

getting a preserved squid is vastly preferable to, say, getting one at a market, becuse they stink a lot pretty quickly. Although I've been known to dissect out the beaks from my "squid with spicy salt" in Chinese restaurants, too....

Squidman said:
I am doing a little archie sculpture out of clay for my art class.

Turns out it isn't so little. I got carried away, and now I've got a two-and-a-half foot long squid on my table. The glaze did not work out well in the kiln, so it isn't a deep, shiny maroon like I wanted it to be. Instead it looks like I poured watered-down paint over it. Because of those regrettable circumstances, I will repaint it and give it a nice shiny finish.

I'd vote for something popular (and common).. as well as something you could do full-size..
I'd say Dosidicus gigas.

Anyway... my input.

Ancora imparo,
-Paul

Hey is that octo in your avitar at monte vista market right now. it looked familiar. i have to say your sculptures look even better in person. also, what medium do you use before you cast it into metal? i personally like plasticine (oil based clay) but it would be cool to know what other artists are using.

a rabid squid said:
Hey is that octo in your avitar at monte vista market right now. it looked familiar. i have to say your sculptures look even better in person. also, what medium do you use before you cast it into metal? i personally like plasticine (oil based clay) but it would be cool to know what other artists are using.

Yep, sure is. I'm the Meat Dept. Manager.

It's not cast. It's fabricated out of sheet copper, copper tubing, copper wire and brazing rods. Next time your in the store, look behind the rock and you will see an arm that I used as a test piece, from that you can see how I did it.

sirenian03 said:
I have a weakness for the flamboyant cuttlefish,Metasepia . Any chance of seeing one of those ina really nifty sculpture?
Rinie :rainbow:

I have thought about it, but I need a little more practice with patinas to do it justice.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back