If I make a squid, which one should it be??

Donnerboy said:
That is really good looking from what I can see.

I would love to get a bigger pic if you would send me one or post one up.

Thanks,
Will

No problem, I just don't know where to post it. I don't have a website yet, and I'm no so familiar with the capabilities of this site. I have LOTS of pictures of the construction as well as the finished piece, and a pretty long document describing the construction and stories that went a long with it. Give me email address or tell me how to put it up here.

Clem said:
Kat,

My bad, first.

So, Pipsquek, instead of hooks you'll have to model sharp teeth ringing each of the suckers. Doesn't that sound like more fun?

:roll:

Clem

Sounds like a lawsuit if anyone ever got close to it. Got a picture of what one looks like.

pipsquek said:
No problem, I just don't know where to post it. I don't have a website yet, and I'm no so familiar with the capabilities of this site. I have LOTS of pictures of the construction as well as the finished piece, and a pretty long document describing the construction and stories that went a long with it. Give me email address or tell me how to put it up here.

Hi Jonathan

Maybe pictures of your whole construction process and the finished piece could go into one document, probably PDF, and be added to the articles.

Melissa

Speaking of sculpting cephs, glass is a great medium for squid and cuttles. The replicas I've seen in museums look like real specimens.

I am doing a little archie sculpture out of clay for my art class. Are there any characteristics I may forget to include?

See what boredom makes me do?

Today, out of sheer boredom, I made a sculpture of a stranded squid.
It took me about fifteen-twenty minutes to do.

That'll be nothing compared to what I'm working on in art class!

-Squidman-
:oshea:

Attachments

• conv_287911.jpg
    conv_287911.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 54
  • conv_287912.jpg
    conv_287912.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 64
  • conv_287913.jpg
    conv_287913.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 59
Squidman-

Nice interlacing on the arms!! Were you working from a specific picture??

So I spoke with my contact a MBARI today, and he's going to send me his spreadsheet of Humbolt size and proportions. And sometime in the next couple of weeks he is going to let me in on a dissection!! :squidaut:

So I think that will be my first squid. Should be a lot easier that Big Red, so if I get enough time to work on it, I might have it finished by TONMOcon.

Thanks!

I wish I could dissect a squid, giant or otherwise.

No, that sculpture was from memory. It seems I can remember almost everything that interests me. Maybe that's why I don't do well in Math...

ATTENTION: I have reached an artistic milestone! I have found my art style! I sketch a picture, then give it both color and shape by quickly moving a pencil back and forth vertically in a curved motion. Then I shade whatever I am drawing. It looks better than it sounds, believe me.

After drawing since I could pick up a crayon, I finally know how to draw!
:band: :wine: :glass:

Sorry, I just had to tell everyone.

Very happy indeed,
-Squidman-

Oh, I've been drawing cephs for years. Ever since I was three, I have been trying to do architeuthis justice with a paper and pencil medium. Only in the past few months have I been able to draw cuttles and octos, though.

Sadly, I am unable to post any of my sketches. They are either lost, tossed, or given away. The few I do have I cannot scan or take a digital pic.

:boohoo:

I just remembered something!

If you want to make a really bright, unique ceph pic, try coloring the ceph chromatophore by chromatophore. I did that with a cuttle pic twice.

First I sketched a sepia apama territorial display with pencil. Second, I used a pack of thin highlighters to color it. I added subtle variations in color with different concentrations of dots. The final product was extremely satisfactory, but not perfect. Then I thought of something: erase the pencil outline! I erased all the pencil marks, and the every part of the cuttle was clearly defined.

It is tedious, but in the end, you will like what you see.

-Squidman-

Yeah, it took me about two day to do(small sketch). Presently, I am working on a copy of that pic that is about four times the size of the original.

Dot, dot, dot, dot, dot, dot, dot...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back