• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

ID?

New octo (again)

I found this little guy at one of the LFS on Monday night.
He acclimated well and pounced on a crab almost immediately. You can see it holding the shell in the last pic. So far it's stayed in the open most of the time. It's been out every morning, and during the evenings with the lights on it's been hanging out on the cleaning magnet, and the few places on the rock where I don't have anemones. I'm going to have to do some serious maintenance this weekend and remove all the aiptasia, and tulip anemones so that he can move around easier as he gets bigger.

B

P1010030cpsm.jpg

P1010033CCcpsm.jpg

P1010042CCcpsm.jpg

P1010038CCsm.jpg

When we use the term bimac, we are referring to a species:
O.bimaculoides. So that's what you have!

Do you have a name for it yet, so I can enter you in our TONMO list of octopuses?

Nancy

Nancy said:
When we use the term bimac, we are referring to a species:
O.bimaculoides. So that's what you have!

Do you have a name for it yet, so I can enter you in our TONMO list of octopuses?

Nancy

Well since there's o. bimaculoides, and o. bimaculatus, that's what I meant when I said I don't know which species it is.
The first one I had I ordered from fishsupply.com, so I knew it was o. bimaculoides. Since this one is wild-caught, it's less clear. Unfortunately the LFS I got them from is a very weirdly run mom and pop shop where the 3 sons and the parents often don't know who orders what, so they couldn't tell me where they'd gotten this guy from.

I've got a rule about not naming the critters until they've been in the tank for at least 3wks. :mrgreen:
The last one got named early cause of it's antics while trying to acclimate him. I'll be making a list of names during the next few weeks and let my wife pick out the one she likes.

B

Just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss and... Buetiful or lovely would be an understatement in describing this majestic creature! It's AWESOME IT'S GORGEOUS!!! IT'S THE MOST BUETIFUL OCTO I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!! That will be all... :shock:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back