ID update on Creepers

so, a friend of mine at an aquatic store knows the person at the wholesaler who ordered Creepers, that I got at a DIFFERENT aquatic store.
Aparetnly, it is not a dwarf, it is a florida octo, and he said he believes it to be an O. vulgaris.

I guess that means I have to get a bigger tank, and soon! *shakes head*

Oh well, with my reef water, existing live rock, and existing sand, I am sure I can get a more stable environ sooner than later.

hmmm...maybe I will tie it in with the reef system via the fuge... I will have to research that a bit.

Any suggestions would be welcome. :smile:

cheers!
Geoffrey

Attachments

• conv_303010.jpg
    conv_303010.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 97
We've found that O.vulgaris is one of the most difficult octopuses to ID because so few of our members, even our marine biologists, have had experience with them. Many octopuses are sold as vulgaris and turn out to be something entirely different.

I'd suggest you post more of your photos on this thread and give us more written information, such as how large your octo is (mantle length, arms), webbing (appears to have none, from the photos), does he have false eyespots (Look at the Bimac Care Sheet under Ceph Care Articles to see an example), is he day active, night active, or in between. All this would help.

Nancy

Upvote 0
Nancy;94620 said:
I'd suggest you post more of your photos on this thread and give us more written information, such as how large your octo is (mantle length, arms), webbing (appears to have none, from the photos), does he have false eyespots (Look at the Bimac Care Sheet under Ceph Care Articles to see an example), is he day active, night active, or in between. All this would help.

Nancy

done and done! :smile:
Here is one of his underside.
As for webbing, there is very little visible most times.
His tenticles are aprox 19 - 21 inches long from tip to tip.
And honestly, Creepers stays in his den all the time. I have come out at all times of night, and been around durring the day, and nothing after his first night in the tank.
He JUST took some small fresh octo bits I got from an asian market to try and get him to eat... he hasn't as before tonight as I can tell so far. (other than the existing pod population in the tank) So I am VERY excited to see that.

As far as false eye spots, nothing that I could identify.
He seems to be a brownish- purple with light tan mottling.
These are some of the best pics I have been able to obtain so far.

Thanks for the comment Nancy, every little bit helps! :smile:

Cheers,
Geoffrey

Attachments

• conv_290823.jpg
    conv_290823.jpg
    862.8 KB · Views: 124
  • conv_290824.jpg
    conv_290824.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 86
  • conv_290825.jpg
    conv_290825.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 0
gravesly,

Is he always smooth like that? I know the Vulgaris is often rough but can change rapidly (look at posts of Biddle - also an unknown but suspect Vulgaris baby) and I remember reading about one that was always smooth but I can't quite remember where. I will think on it some more and see what I can come up with.

Where is mucktopus when we need her - off diving most likely

Upvote 0
gravesly;94647 said:
done and done! :smile:
Here is one of his underside.
As for webbing, there is very little visible most times.
His tenticles are aprox 19 - 21 inches long from tip to tip.
And honestly, Creepers stays in his den all the time. I have come out at all times of night, and been around durring the day, and nothing after his first night in the tank.
He JUST took some small fresh octo bits I got from an asian market to try and get him to eat... he hasn't as before tonight as I can tell so far. (other than the existing pod population in the tank) So I am VERY excited to see that.

As far as false eye spots, nothing that I could identify.
He seems to be a brownish- purple with light tan mottling.
These are some of the best pics I have been able to obtain so far.

Thanks for the comment Nancy, every little bit helps! :smile:

Cheers,
Geoffrey
you feed him octopus bits???!?!?!?!? :shock:

isnt that like.... feeding your children people bits?

chris

Upvote 0
For some reason Creepers reminds me of those two I bought from Pa that turned out to be a small egg species and one of the smaller octopuses. They both were adults and only stayed with me a few months. Is Creepers missing a leg?

Carol

Upvote 0
dwhatley:
Yes, he is always smooth as far as I can tell, and I have seen him go a dark redish color when going defenisve, but that was at the aquatics store.

aximbigfan:
what, doesn't everyone eat soylent green?? :wink:

corw314:
no, creepers has all his legs, though if he is full grown, and the species is an egg layer, that would also make sence seeing that he (she) has yet to leave it's den since after the first night.
Though that would make me a sad panda to only have Creepers a few months. :frown:

Upvote 0
looks like we might have another o alecto like my one i had before hex. check out some of my old post from around 6-12 months ago and youll find some pictures that look identicale to yours

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back