ID tiny octopus with eggs

I bought a tiny octopus sold as a dwarf pacific octopus a few months ago. I don't have very many pics of her as she's always in her little barnacle cave, but she is very small, her mantle is about 1.5 inches and her legs are very long and slender. She has laid fertilized eggs (about 50) which I found a few days ago and I'll attach some photos. They are the size of a grain of rice. Any help would be appreciated as I know small egg species are not known to be successfully reared. I've narrowed her down to either a joubini or a mercatoris, and I got her from a Northern California lfs is that helps.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    397.3 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 135
Got some hatchlings, still a few dozen eggs left. I've got mysis (larva and adults) Copepods, flat worms and I'm blowing frozen cyclops with a pipette near the babies, can't say I've seen anyone eat yet.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    708 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    687.2 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    840.4 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 0

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Feel free to throw anything you can think of at them as food. You may want to put a few in a separate tank using only the water from your main tank (even for a water change) and experiment with different foods and feeding frequency. Note though that our longest successes with even the large egg species have been with the animals kept in the primary tank (hence suggesting using only hatchling tank water).

I think our longest record was 21 days. All of us root for anyone to beat it :fingerscrossed:

Upvote 0